Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dual exhaust for GT PT convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2006, 01:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default dual exhaust for GT PT convertible

Help! Have a somewhat "tweaked" '05 GT HO Turbo PT convertible and am considering installing Mopar-Borla dual exhaust. I am somewhat concerned that the sound will be too loud and overwhelming for daily driving with top up or down. Any Convert Pter's have any experience with duals for our jewels??
Thanks!!! Midwstdr
Old 22 Sep 2006, 11:46 am
Regular Cruiser

I've got that system on my 05 RagTop and its great. The turbo cuts out most of the noise. You will love it......
Old 22 Sep 2006, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smitty thank you so much for your comments; I've been anxiously waiting to hear from someone who's been down this road already! Mine are on order and should be here next week. Will post a follow-up. As an aside, I've owned Corvettes and one Porsche. My GT PT turbo convert is by far the most fun (not to mention practical). Cool vanilla with matching mirrors and tan top, custom hand stripping, Next Level computer chip, hand made (created?) below bumper license plate bracket and Mopar Borla dual exhaust pending!!
Old 28 Sep 2006, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

good luck, your car sounds really nice keep us posted !!
Old 09 Oct 2006, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Had them installed on Friday, absolutely fantastic!! Unless you stand on it, sounds pretty much like the factory exhaust. If you're interested in duals, I'd recommend the Borla-Mopar system!
Old 26 May 2007, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: dual exhaust for GT PT convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwstdr View Post
Smitty thank you so much for your comments; I've been anxiously waiting to hear from someone who's been down this road already! Mine are on order and should be here next week. Will post a follow-up. As an aside, I've owned Corvettes and one Porsche. My GT PT turbo convert is by far the most fun (not to mention practical). Cool vanilla with matching mirrors and tan top, custom hand stripping, Next Level computer chip, hand made (created?) below bumper license plate bracket and Mopar Borla dual exhaust pending!!

Which Next Level chip did you buy? Did you install it yourself? What performance did you see? Thanks!
2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.
Old 27 May 2007, 04:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

HI I have the Mopar-Borla duals on my Non-Turbo PT Touring '03- I have 48k & have had them on since almost new. I did have a custom resonator added (also stanless by voit)where the straight pipe goes to take it down a notch. Its fine. This system is what the factory should of had availaible as an option new in my opinion.Its as close to factory as possble with a good HP sound. Enjoy,, MJB
Old 29 May 2007, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I picked up an 05 GT convertible almost a year ago and am interested in "tweaking" it. Care to share what you have done? I love the uniqueness of the car and I am very interested in extracting a bit more power and improving the handling characteristics while maintaining it's daily drive-ability.

Is there a stepwise logical order to the enhancements? Any warranty concerns? etc...
Old 29 May 2007, 12:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwstdr View Post
I sure hope you are talking about the Stage 1 upgrade and not those crappy Jet Stage Chips. Stage 1 is the building block for more power. Been there, done that with my '03 GT (280 hp with Stage 1 and supporting mods) and now my SRT-4 (320 hp with Stage 2 and supporting mods). Only Stage 1 is available for the PT turbo and is used by the guys running 400-500 hp PT turbos along with supporting mods.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 May 2007, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mean Green and others.........The hp numbers you mention in your post are they from dyno test at the crank, wheels, or what? And whichever they were, what was the "stock" hp number before you started tweaking?

I am planning putting on duals (Mopar/Borla) this summer. However my son who is renowned as a VW tuner warned me about the decreased back pressure as our turbos need it to produce good power in the low to mid-range rev range. Any comments on that? What about those of you who have done only the dual exhaust installation on a GT? Any performance give up?

Thanks!
2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.