Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tires?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2006, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tires?!

Holy smokes! The alignment has been off kilter and now two tires have to be replaced. Golly, when we bought the most beautiful and funnest car ever, I never even noticed that the tires cost $250 a piece! Imagine my surprise. We have a 2004 (?) that we bought in '03? - we ordered the car as soon as we our dealer would take the order when Chrysler announced they were going to produce them. Driving and riding in this car is like being on vacation, isn't it?

But by golly, $250 for a single tire? I know there are cheaper prices for the same tire, but this price includes every darned fee -- delivery, installation, balancing, old tire take-away, looking at me cross-eyed, coffee-while-you-wait fee. I bought Pirelli Scorpions for my F-150 and they cost $125 a pop, but it was on Ford's nickel during the tire recall. $250 -- and the tire guy said we couldn't even depend on them to last 60K miles! He said 40K is reasonable.

We have 36K on our car now. What do you notice about your OEM tires and what is your experience? Have you had to replace them? Would you buy the same tires? Did you already replace with different tires?

Could somebody please explain how a single tire costs $250 and yet doesn't last 60K miles?

Yours truly,
Pat
Old 24 Oct 2006, 03:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Yep the stock Goodyears are pretty badyears, I ended up replacing mine around 50k. $250 sounds pretty steep for those types of tires, next time you replace a single tire go to a used tire dealer since you will be replacing all four in 10-20k. A used tire would run you around $60 bucks. Alignment is usually hit and miss, meaning if you hit the curb while your making a u-turn then ther goes your alignment, if you miss it then your alignment will last until your next wheel rotation. Check out the suspension and handling section of the forum, you'll see a lot of tire recomendations there.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 24 Oct 2006, 08:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If the tires were the 16's Goodyears, the replacement cost is under 90.00 per. Don't know what you were being quoted for 250.00 per tire.
The alignment issue is a bad Chrysler decision. Unless your needs are very minor, you have to buy and have installed a camber and shim kit to bring the alignment back to within factory specs.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 24 Oct 2006, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tire loyalties are almost like religion or politics, but I feel safe in saying the stock tires are Good-for-a-Year. If you don't have 17" rims, the Michelin Hydroedge will give you MUCH longer life and much better rain performance as well.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Oct 2006, 09:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with QSD on the HydroEdge. That is what I went to on my PT and will do the same for the wife's as soon as needed.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 25 Oct 2006, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey there,

The tires that came with the car are Goodyear Eagle RS-A, 205/50R17 93H, which, according to the tire dealer, are low profile performance tires made of softer material. I saw a price of $213 for the same tires on Walmart website, but they also charge extra for every step they take from taking the tire down off the rack to putting the wheel back on the car, which is why I thought $250 was a competitive price.
pb
Old 25 Oct 2006, 05:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The stock Goodyears are junk. Getting 40k miles out of them is a pipe dream. I went to Toyo's. They are excellent tires.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Mar 2007, 09:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Bottom line is that any real performance tire will run rings around the RSA's it is that simple!! I chose Yokos all season unidirectional tires and have never been sorry! In fact I put them on my 06 when I turned in my 03!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 07 Mar 2007, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

when my goodyears are done, i will not be using them again either !!
Old 07 Mar 2007, 03:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbabb

Hey there,

The tires that came with the car are Goodyear Eagle RS-A, 205/50R17 93H, which, according to the tire dealer, are low profile performance tires made of softer material. I saw a price of $213 for the same tires on Walmart website, but they also charge extra for every step they take from taking the tire down off the rack to putting the wheel back on the car, which is why I thought $250 was a competitive price.
pb
You do know you can put other tires on your PT, right? You've gotten some good suggestions already, I'll just chime in with mine, Kumho ECSTA ASX, and go with a 215/50-17. Will fill the wheel wells just a bit better, give you a bit more traction, are a great tire in wet and dry, and won't cost an arm and a leg. If you are apprehensive about the extra width, a 205 width would be fine too. But at 215, it only throws your speedo off by 1 mph at 60....

How come "The People" in the First Amendment means The People; "the People" in the Fourth Amendment means The People; but "the People" in the Second Amendment (ratified in 1791) means the National Guard (created by an Act of Congress in 1903)?