Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas Mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2007, 06:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Gas Mileage

Sorry to bring up another topic like this, I know there are tons of them. For some reason the search function does not work for me, so I couldn't bring up the old posts.

I am wondering what everyone gets with their non-turbo convertibles? My 2001 Limited gets 26.5 mpg highway, and I was hoping the convertible gets at least that much. DC claims 29mpg, so technically the car should get very close to that, or you'd think Chrysler would get into some sort of legal problems, but thats another matter altogether.

Please let me know your mileage, and let me know if you have any mods, etc.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 18 Mar 2007, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All I can say is make sure you have the gap right.
When I got mine, turbo, but I saw this,

Not sure if you can read it, but the sticker in the engine well states a .50 gap.

And I got 12 mpg for a couple days. I found on another forum that most are running a 35 or 32 gap. I pulled mine, regapped to .35 and am getting about 23-24 mpg. Turbo lite auto. So I would guess the stick should get close to thirty.

Old 19 Mar 2007, 09:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tmade

All I can say is make sure you have the gap right.
When I got mine, turbo, but I saw this,

Not sure if you can read it, but the sticker in the engine well states a .50 gap.

And I got 12 mpg for a couple days. I found on another forum that most are running a 35 or 32 gap. I pulled mine, regapped to .35 and am getting about 23-24 mpg. Turbo lite auto. So I would guess the stick should get close to thirty.
Thanks for the reply. I actually will probably quickly replace the wires/plugs since the car I am thinking of buying in a new 2006 thats been sitting in the lot for over a year.

Just out of curiosity - Are the roll bar speakers in your signature a factory option, or where did you get enclosures for that? What size speakers, etc do you have in there?

Thanks again,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 19 Mar 2007, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, those are after market. I got them at circuit city, Polk Polymer 1" Composite Dome Tweeter (DB1000). Their website had them at 59 bucks, but in the store they were 69 so they gave me the 59 price. That happens alot there for some reason..

The enclosures and everything comes with the tweeters. It has a recessed mounting cup, clamp that anchors it from the top. I put a piece of foam padding that had an adhesive back between the roll bar and the metal bracket. I didn't think I'd have enough room, but it cleared fine.

If you decide to pursue it pick up some extra plastic anchors, that hold the molding to the frame. You may break one or two getting them out.

Plus the wiring includes a circuit board that blocks bass so all that goes to those is the mid and high range. I tapped the wires into the rear speaker wires and it sounds great!

Old 16 Jul 2009, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Gas Mileage

Tmade,

Could you give me the info on your roll bar speakers? I have a '05 GT vert. and I always complain about hearing the tunes on the freeway with the top down. How do you like them? do they help at 70MPH?? Where on the roll bar do they mount?? If you have any pic's that would be great too. Thanks.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 02:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

'06 GT 5-speed...I get on average 21.5mpg. I really drive it hard, but I also throw it in neutral on steady declines. "verts are a little heavier and w/the top down, creates more drag.

But big deal. The fun of a 'vert outweighs a few MPG lost.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 07:49 am
Regular Cruiser

It's really ridiculous that a 500 hp Corvette will get better mileage than a PT Cruiser. Before I got mine I really though they'd get more than they do.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 08:09 am
Regular Cruiser

My mileage last week, mostly the little woman going back and forth to work = 21.4 mpg. This is nuts! This rascal will be short lived if it doesn't get better than this, especially if gas goes back to 3 + bucks a gallon .. ..
Old 30 Aug 2009, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

mmm.. when I run the 93 tune on the highway I geta bout 27 to 28 IF, capitol IF, I drive like a human, which doesn't happen very often. Around town, I run a lightened race tune. I get about 21mpg. Right now I'm looking for either a vacuum or boost leak as it's dropped to 17mpg in the city.

When I run long trips, I put in a set of plugs gapped at .40, when I run the track, I replace them with a set gapped at .35. When I dyno'd this last at Rage-Tek, it seemed to perform better, top end, with the slightly narrower gap.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 05:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Gas Mileage

The PT has a 15 gal. tank. and based on hitting the gas station almost immediately once the yellow gas pump icon lights and pumping 13.3 gallons we can conclude that our trip od should NOT be showing 160 mi. driven. I have almost 2 gal. left for an avg. mpg of 12.3 or so. My car was in storage 26 months and I've only been driving it since late July. I'll have the dealer to look into it. I'm hearing vacuum leaks, boost leaks, plug gaps, and wiring as possibible culprits.
Lets go with MSD coil, Granitelli wires, and Iridium plugs gapped to.32 -.35 and go the dealer for the vacuum and boost checks. I check the tire inflation at fill up time. Anything else?