Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sometimes the bear eats you and sometimes you eat the bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2007, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sometimes the bear eats you and sometimes you eat the bear

When I bought my used, '06 model recently, I had written to the dealership, asked them if they still had it as on their web site, and if it was still for sale as shown. I got a reply and a yes to everything. When we arrived that evening, I was told by the salesman that the rugs and everything was in the trunk. The top was up, and we hadn't thought about the boot at that time. When I was to get the car that evening, the salesman said they would wash it first at the dealership before I drove it off the lot. I never saw that the boot was not in the trunk with the mats at the time.

The next day I was looking the car over and noticed that the boot was not in the trunk. I assumed that the dealership cleaning crew had simply left it off and probably sat it aside when they cleaned the car. I thought it would be no problem in going back and picking it up. I was in for quite a surprise, as the dealership salesman said the car was sold as is, and that the boot was not part of the car. I told him that it was advertized on their web page as "convertible top/with cover" and that "as is" meant something completely different to me. He went on and on about how they just used the vin number on a used car to pull up the specifics of the car for he website. He claimed that many owners didn't include two keys when they brought in a car for sale, so I should not expect a cover to actually be in the car. That was his idea of "as is." After getting the same crap from his next higher in line manager, I left. Not without first letting them know that the "bear was not going to eat me this time!" I was hot and very, very upset at their manner and tone.

I went to my local BBB directory and looked up the owner of the dealership and his Chrysler satisfaction person as well. I copied everything from the email from the salesman to the actual add that had been posted, and I sent my letter of complaint directly to the owner and not the manager of the company. I informed that that I would first offer then the opportunity to make things right, and would then proceed with notification to the BBB and state attorney general, as necessary. Well, in a short time and order, I got a new person to deal with and they ordered a brand new cover/boot for my convertible. They called and made arrangements for me to pick it up, at their expense and not mine. Yippy! Yippy! Yippy! The system worked this time in allowing the customer to not be railroaded.

The thing that bothered me most was that the salesman's manager had told me that they could probably get one for me by taking one off the other cruiser convertibles that come in to be sold on the lot. That may even be just what had happened to me in the first place. I found that very shady and I'll not be dealing with the same company in any future car purchases for sure. They lost a good customer, a potential future return customer, a good sales rep in that I would have given positive praise for the dealership if it had done right in the first place. I don't trust their honesty, and certainly won't point others in their direction in the future.

I "ate the bear" this time, in that I got what was due to me by not backing down from someone who was dead wrong. I encourage others to do the same if they have similar problems. I wasn't asking for anything at all that was not confirmed in my deal with the dealership. I wasn't trying to shaft them in any manner at all, but simply get what had been part of the sale.

The really odd thing is that the weather has been so stormy since this happened, that I have not taken the opportunity to actually put the boot on so far. As a side note, it comes with some really crappy pics that look like Chrysler took pictures of pictures of pictures in priniting the thing. They could have easily done better in that printing of instructions, but the owner's manual is better.
Huey
Old 07 May 2007, 03:30 pm
Administrator

Default Re: Sometimes the bear eats you and sometimes you eat the bear

it is great that your complain works.

your incident can provide some insight for other members to complain to the correct person.

in the used market, there could be many more shady stuff happening that we have not found out. there could be internal parts being exchange.... mix and match...

i'm sure there will be reliable dealers too.

Old 09 May 2007, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad it worked out for you. After being around awhile and losing count of the new and used cars that I've bought privately and through new car dealerships, the first rule of thumb should always be: "Don't take anyone's word on what they say". Read the fine print (if possible), ask about everything and take a good look for yourself...in the daylight or under bright lights. If you have a wife, or friend with you, have them look at it also.

Congrats on your purchase ov your vert.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 May 2007, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats !!
Old 11 May 2007, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Glad it worked out for you. After being around awhile and losing count of the new and used cars that I've bought privately and through new car dealerships, the first rule of thumb should always be: "Don't take anyone's word on what they say". Read the fine print (if possible), ask about everything and take a good look for yourself...in the daylight or under bright lights. If you have a wife, or friend with you, have them look at it also.

Congrats on your purchase ov your vert.
Agree. When at a car dealer, I always assume they are lying unless it can be proven otherwise.
You did the right thing in contacting owner and giving a chance to make it right.

I have gone back to the same dealer 3 times now, but I still don't trust them - but they haven't screwed me, either.

Glad you didn't cave in.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles