PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Luggage space

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2007, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Luggage space

Guys

I am not an owner but would be most grateful if you could share your knowledge and experience.

I, and my partner, fly to LA next week and from there will be driving a PT Cruiser convertible for 2 weeks vacation. I am concerned about the amount of luggage space available as I am sure that the hood & mechanism will encroach into the luggage space.

Ideally we would like to fit 2 large suitcases into the trunk but I reckon this will not be possible. The suitcases we have are the conventional long and thin, rather than the more square shaped and wheeled variety. I am assuming the worst case would be 1 in the trunk and 1 on the back seat. Not ideal, or the greatest security solution.

Has anyone got thoughts or advice how to get around this ?

Cozzeeee
Old 03 Jun 2007, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Luggage space

Convertables are known to not have much space for luggage. If you want to protect your luggage, you should rent a sedan. IF anyonw wishes to break in to the convertable they would be able to slit the roof, pull the rear seat back down and have access to your trunk.

Use 2 smaller suitcases each!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Jun 2007, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Convertables are known to not have much space for luggage. If you want to protect your luggage, you should rent a sedan. IF anyonw wishes to break in to the convertable they would be able to slit the roof, pull the rear seat back down and have access to your trunk.

Use 2 smaller suitcases each!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Jun 2007, 07:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I believe you have to access the pulls from the trunk in order to pull the seats forward and get into the trunk from the inside. Maybe your convertible is different than mine in that regard, but that is the way my convertible is set up, so entry into the trunk wouldn't be as simple for a thief as you indicated. Cutting into the top is also sort of a stretch in my opinon, as most crooks wouldn't take the time and effort to do so. Having had one convertible in the past that did suffer a slashing (stupid teens and not a real, dedicated theif), I can tell you that it is something that the typical thief is just not going to waste the effort in doing to retrieve a suitcase that he has no idea if it contains anything valuable or not. To me, I'd view this as just too much effort on the part of the thief, and I'd not worry over it. Try cutting that top material yourself and you may find quickly that it is indeed a greater chore than one bargained for.

Biggest problem isn't so much the lack of space, but is fighting the trunk lid/door and stooping over to put in luggage and later retrieve it. Personally, I don't care to fight this door, and have always feared it knocking into my head or eye when I was loading things. I don't like the chronic bending over to load and unload either. However, you may be surprised as to how much space is actually there, once some creative moving or seat adjusting is done. Opening the top and just putting things inside the rear seat isn't all that difficult either. If only two folks are riding, then having things in the back isn't all that cumbersome, unless something blocks the rear mirror view, which is minimal to begin with).

I can't feature just how a sedan wouldn't give more loading and unloading area though; especially more ease in doing so, in my opinion. So, if one had a choice between the two vehicles, I'd likely opt for the sedan in most cases. My wife has a nasty habit of overpurchasing items to return with us from any trip, so, no matter how well the convertible loads when we start out, the challenge is re-loading for the return trip. Good luck on your choice,
Huey
Old 05 Jun 2007, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I was just listing worst case scenarios, attempting to clarify the use of a sedan vs a convertable. I have only had a sedan and I know how much they can hold and the ease of loading.

Old 05 Jun 2007, 02:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzeeee View Post
Ideally we would like to fit 2 large suitcases into the trunk but I reckon this will not be possible.
Cozzeeee

I just got my '05 Convertible (new - 300 kms.) 20 days ago so I haven't really had any luggage experience with it, but the truth be told, it doesn't have a whole lot of room. Your two suitcases may fit.

If it means anything the trunk has 7.4 cubic feet of room and there is 13.3 cubic feet if the seats are folded.

They (car reviewers) say with the back seats folded down and tumbled forward, you can get 2 full golf bags into the PT Convertible from the trunk which I believe. But doing it this way also leaves your luggage somewhat visible and if the top is down, then it isn't protected at all. The seat releases are in the trunk so you can't release them unless the trunk is open.

As others have mentioned the truck can be awkard especially for anyone over 5'-10" which I am. If you're not going to do a lot of shopping, you may be okay.

Just my thoughts....

Regards
Terry
Old 23 Aug 2007, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Huh? I didn't think the convertible's seats tumbled forward like the hard top.

I thought they just folded down and that was it?
Old 23 Aug 2007, 10:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer42 View Post
Huh? I didn't think the convertible's seats tumbled forward like the hard top. I thought they just folded down and that was it?
Nope, they also tumble forward, at least my 05 'Vert does.

Regards
Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

The convertible's fun, but not much trunk at all; frankly, I'd say you'll be better off in the sedan with anything more than a couple overnight bags. Maybe you can look over a convertible before you go, at either a dealer or local rental place?

Have a great trip, whichever way you choose!