Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cracks in plastic header of roof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2007, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cracks in plastic header of roof

I noticed the other day when I had my top down that the plastic around the last screw on each end of the plastic header has developed cracks. I think I read it here before that someone else had experienced this? Anyone else?

If so, what did you do? Is this a common problem?

My '05 is still under warranty so I will take it in for replacement soon but wanted to see if there has been a larger scale problem with this before taking action. If still under warranty suggest you put the roof down and check the plastic along where the roof rests on the windshield.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Cracks in plastic header of roof

I too am seeing the same thing with my 2005 PT Convertible. I just happened to have it in for service today to replace the actuator motor for the remote trunk release and I had them look at the plastice header. Unfortunately I dropped it off last night when the dealership was closed so I was unable to show them exactly where the problem was. I discussed the problem over the phone with the service manager and he was unable to understand exactly what I was trying to tell him. He suggested I stop by and show them. Again it's unfortunate because I cannot pick up the car until after the service department closes. I guess I'll need to stop by there and show them when I get a chance. Sorry I'm not much Help. Let me know what your dealership says after they get a chance to look at yours.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As soon as I take it in and get feedback I will post the outcome.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 06:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Angry Re: Cracks in plastic header of roof

Hi Guys

I dropped a note on this a few weeks back. I had yje same thing happening. I got the replacement done under warranty. Guess what..the new piece was identical except DC had not drilled out the last two holes.
What does that tell you about these people. No alerts.notices..just ohh we found a flaw but we won't say anything incase they don't notice..nice!

Next thing to watch for is the steel retainer in the rear window seperating!

DaShado
Old 16 Aug 2007, 07:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Taking it in tomorrow for a squeaky belt and told them about this so they can go ahead and order the replacement part. I'll post again after it's replaced.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

An update;

The dealer took pictures of the cracks and has to email them to Chrysler for approval to replace the piece. Takes 3-4 days they say to get back to me with a decision.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 06:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Would someone who has this problem please shoot a photo & post it......having a hard time (as a new owner ) finding what you are seeing. I just picked up my new cruiser & the header screws were out of the holes.....these are push in ...they do not seem to be cracked ....but do not firmly stay in.....maybe a little crazy glue??

Thanks
Larry
Old 19 Aug 2007, 11:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaShado View Post
I got the replacement done under warranty. Guess what..the new piece was identical except DC had not drilled out the last two holes.
Thanks for the update DaShado, will keep this in my car file in case something like this happens to mine.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit

Last edited by Windancer; 22 Oct 2007 at 06:38 pm.
Old 03 Sep 2007, 07:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Looked at my roof today and I also have the cracks. It looks like the screws are not tight and the plastic piece moves when you push on it. The cracks are still small and its only cracked near the screw. I bet this happened when the roof closes too hard. The first couple of times I closed the top I noticed it slammed down hard if you just let it close automatically. So now I make sure to stop the top before its fully closed and let it down by hand. My car is still under guarantee so I may get it fixed.
Old 04 Sep 2007, 04:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

As a newbie to a PT Vert....I did not know you can put the roof down by hand.
As stated before....can some one post a photo of these cracks???

Thanks!