Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Rims..16..17..18?? lower or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2007, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Rims..16..17..18?? lower or not?

I have an '06 and i want to replace the stock rims with some "cooler" looking rims, but i don't know what size will fit best. has anyone had any luck with a particular size? also what is the most affordable way to lower it? just go with lowering springs or spend the cash on the whole coil-over set up?

thanks for the advice.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Rims..16..17..18?? lower or not?

Welcome.
Any of those sizes (depending on width) can fit.
Lowering is much cheaper, typically, than wheels& tires.
If you don't lower more than 2", you can do with stock struts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Sep 2007, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok great. i'm a college student and my money is limited, but at the same time i just bought the car and i'm aching to add something to it
Old 01 Oct 2007, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hear you. We all know the feeling.....
Old 01 Oct 2007, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No matter what age you are, it's always the same problem!!! "If I only had the $$$$$'s"

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Oct 2007, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

what companies are making good, light rims these days?
Old 03 Oct 2007, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

One thing the PT definitely needs is better ride / handling. Larger tires will help somewhat but if you go the lowering route then I suggest new struts. The stocks kinda wallow and jounce over bumps. I just put on Tokico HP blues and the change is significant! Now the car hugs the road.

They can be had for just over $200 if you find a good deal. I got my off ebay for $216. Just make sure to check the part #'s when you receive them. I haven't had my car for 4 days because after the install I had very little clearance b/t the tire and the coil support on the front strut. As the strut settled, this past friday the coil seat ended up sitting on the tire. Turns out one strut was for a neon, not a PT, only a 1/4 inch difference in length and will "fit" the PT but once it settles....no good. Waiting for the right strut...

I also put on Mopar Stage 1 springs. Just over $200 also from Haynes speed shop.

If anything, swap out the struts first IMHO.
Old 06 Oct 2007, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey thanks i'll probably do that then.what rims did you put on your pt JCsGTPT? or did you just keep the stock GT rims?
Old 06 Oct 2007, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsGTPT View Post
One thing the PT definitely needs is better ride / handling. Larger tires will help somewhat but if you go the lowering route then I suggest new struts. The stocks kinda wallow and jounce over bumps. I just put on Tokico HP blues and the change is significant! Now the car hugs the road.

They can be had for just over $200 if you find a good deal. I got my off ebay for $216. Just make sure to check the part #'s when you receive them. I haven't had my car for 4 days because after the install I had very little clearance b/t the tire and the coil support on the front strut. As the strut settled, this past friday the coil seat ended up sitting on the tire. Turns out one strut was for a neon, not a PT, only a 1/4 inch difference in length and will "fit" the PT but once it settles....no good. Waiting for the right strut...

I also put on Mopar Stage 1 springs. Just over $200 also from Haynes speed shop.

If anything, swap out the struts first IMHO.
I was actually suprised when I was swapping my lowering springs out for my stock ones last night to see TOKICO stamped right on my stock struts. They rode pretty decent for about 20,000 km's this year.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To Shishkabob:

I recommend the Tokico "Blue" shocks and struts teamed with lowering springs as a reasonable install cost-wise for the performance improvement. You might want to do them together. Primarily because the Tokicos are especially suited for lowered applications. The stock struts and shocks will eventually fail and in the meantime you will regret the inferior handling to that which the new shocks and struts will immediately provide you.

I'd say that as a general rule, one shouldn't scrimp on drivetrain and suspension components, but look for good values, such as the other writers in this thread have mentioned.

If you want to have some fun for little money, spend the $$$ on appearance options from time to time and use the heavy bucks for under the hood and under the car.

If there are stilll any PT Cruiser car shows or cruise-ins being held in your area, go to them; the folks there can give you some great pointers!

Have fun and enjoy building your Cruiser to be your Cruiser!

2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.