Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top Adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2007, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Top Adjustment

I have a 2005 vert that has a top that slams shut at the very last of the closing sequence. Does anyone know how to adjust the top so that it will close properly without my having to catch it at the very last moment?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Top Adjustment

Seems like I've seen a thread on this somewhere. Let me look around.

Wow! I've looked everywhere, and can't seem to locate the previous thread on it. I"ll keep lookin'!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 17 Dec 2007 at 07:40 pm. Reason: add-on.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Top Adjustment

I found this. Not exactly your problem but it talks about the top operation.

I have a 2005 BE PT Convertible with 21k miles. When the overnight temperature goes below freezing and I have go to work the following morning I have to enter through the trunk and crawl up to the driver seat to get into my car. The Smart Windows won't go down because they freeze shut (like any window would). I can't get into my car unless I pull the window out of its grove and slam it back which leaves a bow in the outside of the window. And at that point, I can't get it back into the grove where it normally resides. How can I solve this? Warm water, and spray on deicers do not work. – James, from Kentucky.

Yours is the first issue of this type that has been reported with the convertible. It is difficult to know if this issue is directly related to the cold weather or simply a component that is failing because of extreme weather conditions, without further diagnostics. There was a TSB issued by DC (6-30-05) on some 2005 model year PT convertibles for “inoperative power windows (one or both sides) and possibly the power convertible top, which involves flash reprogramming the Smart Glass Module (SGM), or on some vehicles replacing the front window regulator/SGM assemblies.” In each door of the convertible there is a window regulator module directly connected to each of the front door window regulator motors. The modules control window motor operation and smart glass functions. The driver window module controls the convertible top operations. A copy of the TSB's are available in the Pit area on the site, however your PT is under warranty therefore the dealer should be your next stop. (A 2nd TSB was issued in March06 for this issue which affects 2005-06 Convertibles.)

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The window problem is not what I'm looking for. I have an idea that I may need to bleed the hydraulic system. I just did not want to do something that will make it worst. As for the problem in the thread you found, I have had my windows freeze shut. They were not frozen hard and I was able to gently presuade them to open. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I was actually referring to the line that said: The driver window module controls the convertible top operations. I thought that might lead you into the direction of finding a fix.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The module is ok. My problem is a strange one. The top goes up fine until the last few inches, than it slams down! This is why I feel it is most likely to do with the hydralics. Again, thanks for you fast response. You have made my newbieship a pleasant experience.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: Top Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyvert View Post
The module is ok. My problem is a strange one. The top goes up fine until the last few inches, than it slams down! This is why I feel it is most likely to do with the hydralics. Again, thanks for you fast response. You have made my newbieship a pleasant experience.
Yes - the closing going well, then a hard slam shut at the end of the roof closure. Still can't seem to locate the thread. But, I think that you are on the right track, with adjustments relative to hydrolic pressure.

The original poster talked about stopping the closure at the end point, hand assisted, and then resuming to minimize the slamming.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: Top Adjustment

OK - I found it! Here's the thread.
The thread started out about cracks in the plastic support rods for the top. Then someone made a statement on the second page of the post, about using hand pressure to slow down the abrupt closing stop. There are several posts after that on the subject.
Hope this helps! (Convertible Forum)
Cracks in plastic header of roof

Last edited by soonercruiser; 17 Dec 2007 at 09:46 pm. Reason: emphasis needed
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a million!! I guess I need to look at the owner's manual and see what it has to offer.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:39 pm
Young Cruiser

I was the person that was asking if it was normal for the top to slam slam shut.
I actually just got the car back from the dealer for repairing this problem.

They replaced the cracked plastic header piece and adjusted the closing of the top. It now closes nice and smooth. Amazing how soft it closes. They also replaced the convertible top latch because I had a "rattle" in the top.

The dealer did not tell me what was done to stop the slamming and no parts were replaced. In one of the posts on this forum some one said that the top bypass switch may not be in the fully closed position. This info is in the convertible manual.