Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wind noise at A pillar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Default wind noise at A pillar

I have a 95 vert low miles and it recently has developed a wind noise somwhere along the drivers side A pillar, varies with speed, but is loudest around 30 MPH and 60 MPH. It's just gotten a lot colder here in PA, but I'm not sure if it changed with the weather changing. It was absolutely quiet when I got it last summer, so something has changed. The rubber all looks perfect and the door closes tight and the window powers up into the seal like it should when you close the door. I have opened and closed the top and cycled all the windows to check them. I'm just wondering if anybody else has seen this issue or has any idea's.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: wind noise at A pillar

"....a 95 vert....."????!!!
Did you mean "05"?
If you've got a 95 Plymouth Cruiser, I would suggest trading it in on a newer model Chrysler PT Cruiser. (just kiddin')
The way that window and motors work, you still may not have a window up "all the way", tight! Or, with a worn gear, it may be vibrating back down after a little vibration in movement!
-The vert windows (at least my 06) have a little extra travel that allows easier door closing & opening (braking the air seal), when the door handle is activated from either inside or outside. Since this is controlled electronically with a sensor in the door handle, there are a "few" things that could be wrong.
*Might need a dealer look!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: wind noise at A pillar

Yes, obviously an 05. I also have a 95 Mustang GT vert, and get the two mixed up when typing. The windows both appear to go up and down fully and no change from the past in that respect. I too believe I will have to have a dealer look at it, though it will probably be the first PT convertible they have had in for this sort of thing.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree have the dealer look at it !!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

have you swapped out the mirrors at all or are they the factory? Any recent collision damage to that door? any stereo shop opened up the door panel at all?
Old 19 Dec 2007, 11:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Nothing has changed since I got it except I've driven it about 5000 miles, and it's gotten 50 degrees colder out. Nothing appears loose or out of place, and the noise usually seems to be closer to the mirror than the top of the pillar, but it's hard to be sure when you are driving.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 11:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

sometimes when the mirrors are replaced, the foam insert that is stuffed into the access hole is left out and causes windnoise similar to what you describe.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2 cents -- verts just will have more wind noise! I have never seen a convertible that was as quite as a hardtop. Having a vert is worth the extra wind noise!!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 12:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: wind noise at A pillar

I may have mentioned this in another post. But, several months ago, I picked up a 2006 vert. (already have a 2006 Touring) I am actually suprised about the lack of wind noise - possibly because the top profile is a little lower.
*Now, I'm here in Oklahoma, where we are noted for our wind...and even on our maiden voyage from California....pretty quiet!
**I do notice increase road noise, i.e. as in when a truck or car passes beside me. But, I am suprised about the relative lack of noise at this point.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 08:13 am
Regular Cruiser

I've narrowed it down to the rubber triangle that goes between the door frame and the mirror body. It's a complicated piece of rubber which is on both sides of the glass. When the window goes up and down, it threads between the two sides of the one piece of rubber. If I press on the rubber near the top, or put tape over the glass rubber joint after inside and the window does it's auto up, the noise goes away. It looks exactly like the passenger side piece in position and it's condition, but something must be a little different, as the passenger side is silent.