Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windshield Crack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2008, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Windshield Crack

I have new 2008 convertible with 3000 miles on car. The crack starts at top center of windshield. I see no exterior damage. Does anyone know of similar problem and is it covered by warranty. Thanks Ken
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield Crack

Don't think so, but call the dealer...
Your car insurance should.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Windshield Crack

Insurance!
I picked up a small rock chip, that went to a crack after only having the soonercruiser about 3 weeks. Insurance replace it - in my driveway!
USAA
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

request that the windshield be replaced with a chrysler windshield. if you dont, they will put in an aftermarket glass and you will NOT be happy when you see dips and waves in your 'new' windshield.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for all of your comments. I am traveling thru
Texas and will check on window when I get back to major city
Ken
Old 12 Feb 2008, 01:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
request that the windshield be replaced with a chrysler windshield. if you dont, they will put in an aftermarket glass and you will NOT be happy when you see dips and waves in your 'new' windshield.
Absolutely right!! If you let them put in an aftermarket windshield, you'll open your door and see a rough, unfinished edge on the side of the windshield.

Open the door now, look at the smooth, finished edge on the exposed side of the windshield molding, then, BEFORE they in stall the new glass, inspect the same edges on the replacement glass.

Whomever makes the replacement glass, obviously doesn't know that it's a finished edge on the molding.

Good luck!!!
srg
Old 12 Feb 2008, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know how you make out !! good luck !!
Old 24 Apr 2008, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Heh Folks:
I tried to get my windshield replaced at Crysler Dealer in Del Rio,Tx and they said a stone chip caused crack. I found no exterior damage except crack. Three people all looked at glass; manager said no claim.
Enough for Chrysler Dealer. I tried to get national Chrysler warranty people to send me to glass replacement company for a second opinion. No Deal. In Del Rio they asked me if I bought the car there. I knew I was in trouble as soon as they asked that question. OK so I drive back to Ohio to my dealer and he says no problem, it is a stress crack and fixes windshield in one day. I don't recommend anyone stopping at Ram Country in Del Rio,Tx ...
Old 23 May 2008, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did your dealer in Ohio tell you what caused the crack by chance? I ask because I recently had the rear windshield replaced in my 05 Sebring Conv. and in the process they did something so that when I close the top, the right latch is nearly impossible to get shut. I have to sit in the passenger's seat and give it everything I've got. This tightness of the top when locked into the header created a stress crack in my front windshield. It's located at the same spot on the right as the top latch and runs from the top to the middle and from the bottom to the middle, leaving about an inch uncracked in the center of the windshield. They wont take responsibility as I cant' "prove" the now too tight top caused it. So I'm wondering if your dealer said anything to you about a cause. I just want some vindication here-- I KNOW that was the cause and I just want to hear someone say it's so!
Old 24 May 2008, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Elizabeth:
My dealer did not offer any other information. He did fix windshield. I guess it really makes a difference who you bought car from as both of us have learned. I was really
appalled at the"no help" I received from the national warranty hotline. What a joke for Chrysler......It sounded like they were reading from a script prepared to save the company money. Good luck
Ken