Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Window Tinting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2008, 01:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Window Tinting

Has anyone has their windows tinted and had problems with the "smart drop" windows? I want the windows tinted on my 'vert, but am concerned about the tint not applying correctly if the windows are going to be dropping during the curing time. Is it possible to pull a fuse to stop them from dropping? If I do that, will the doors close properly?

The only other option I can think of is to have them tinted and leave the top down for three days while the tint cures. The drawback to this method is I want the rear window tinted as well, so I'll have to take it back and have it done after I can put the top back up.

'05 PT Convertible
'03 S500
'98 SL500
Old 25 Mar 2008, 05:18 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Window Tinting

on my 05 even with the top down the windows still jump up and down when you open the doors. and yes I had trouble when getting the windows tinted, when I got into the car(opened the door and the windows did their little down thing) to leave I got a small wrinkle by the mirror on the drivers side, most will never notice it and I rarely do.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 08:01 am
Young Cruiser

Okay - thanks for the info. I don't think I've noticed my windows going down when the top is down. I'll have to make an effort to watch next time I'm driving topless I know the windows don't drop on my MBenz...maybe that's what I'm thinking of. Did your tint installer have any problems getting between the rear side windows and the roll bar?

'05 PT Convertible
'03 S500
'98 SL500
Old 25 Mar 2008, 11:50 am
Young Cruiser

Is this option just on the vert's?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwoody View Post
Is this option just on the vert's?
On the convertibles the windows drop down so they will clear the top when you open the doors. Our sedans do not need that option.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Apr 2012, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, Anyone know a service for mobile window tinting in the north VA.the law is 50 front and 35 rear .i was thinking to get 35 for all. can someone help me. thanks
Old 26 Apr 2012, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll help your. If the law says 50 on the front and you want to do 35, It's against the law. Simple as that. All our deputies carry a glass tint measuring device, so you'd get cited on the spot. 35 on the front driver and passenger windows is too dark. Law enforcement can't see the driver or passenger when your pulled over. It's for his protection and yours.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To add to CREWZEN's statement. If you do get away with it. There is the inspection sticker. You will have to remove it to pass that!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2012, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On the tinting for a vert, the guy who did mine used a rubber wedge in the door pin spot, that faked the door as being closed so the window stayed up while he tinted it. After he got done, he let it sit for about two hours, then took a hair dryer on low heat and gently dried all the windows. Never had a single slip, was really happy with it, and the job looks factory, you can't see a seam anywhere.