Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowering 2005 HO GT Convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2008, 07:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Lowering 2005 HO GT Convertible

Well my Convertible is about to be out of the 3/36,000 mile warranty. Which means I'm ready to lower it. The instructions seem easy enough. Any recommendations as to spring manufacturer? I've read where the convertible is already lower than stock but I think that's more roof line than ground clearance. Car has the chrome wheels on it.
To lower it about 1.5/2 inches besides alignment, is there anything else I need to do?

THANKS!!!

Mike
Old 22 May 2008, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Lowering 2005 HO GT Convertible

I have the same ride and I did the Mopar Stage 1 springs with Tokico HP Blues struts. These springs look good up front (nice conservative drop) but they did not drop enough in the rear. I still have about a 2" gap b/t wheel and well back there.

The ride is what I call a "soft firm". Much firmer than stock but not punishing.

My understanding is that the stock struts are OK with the Stage 1 springs but if you go for a bigger drop then you should swap out struts also to avoid blowing out a strut.

Over on PTCrew I believe someone did a write up of the different springs and their respective drop. You could try a search on it. Maybe in the Mod Bible?
Old 22 May 2008, 04:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Lowering 2005 HO GT Convertible

They are a little costly, but you can get them at a good price on ebay sometimes, but I put the Mopar Stage 2 Coil over suspension kit on my '05 DC4 convertible, it lowered both the front and the rear 40mm, It looks great but I would not want to go any lower, it still clears my driveway but not by much, and no problem with speed bumps, but now I do need a helper board to use my Rhino Ramps to change my oil as the Mopar body kit will hit in the front.

The ride is firm but not harsh, and has a lot better control on exit ramps and quick turns than it did stock.

Also the convertible is one inch lower to the ground than a sedan, also one inch in the body between the belt line and the rocker panel and almost another inch in the windshield.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/

Last edited by Dream4; 22 May 2008 at 04:27 pm.