Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chop top..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2008, 04:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Chop top..

So I probably would never do it.. but how much does a chop top cost?

(I don't think I'm using the right terms.. lol.. I mean converting a regular pt to a convertible)

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie

Last edited by morrises; 09 Jun 2008 at 04:14 pm.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Chop top..

I would guess that after its said and done, you might of just wanted to buy a convertible from the factory. Remember that the convertible is also a two door and itís probably for a reason???
I actually wondered what it would be like to take about four inches off the top (chop) and bring it all together like an old lead sled. If you look at the convertible, it already has the shorter windshield but then again, why put $6K into a car that's only worth $6K but hey, don't let me stop you from your dreams.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 09:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well our issue would be (this is in my dreams.. lol) is that we have kids, so we would have to have a four door.

So if I win the lottery, I would have to make it INTO a convertible because I can't do two doors lol

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie
Old 09 Jun 2008, 10:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Chop top..

Trust me (as a new vert owner), you would never want to ride or drive it to anything other than shows!
Even with the roll bar, and I installed a strut tower brace shortly after I bought the GT vert, the whole upper body & wndshield wiggles at different rates when going over big bumps...not potholes....just any big bumps. I love the vert, so I'm willing to put up with the questionable decreased body integrity.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 09 Jun 2008, 11:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

You could always just get the Carsen Faux Convertible Top. This gives you the look of a convertible. I bet it would look pretty sharp with the color of bessy.
E&G Classics Chrysler PT Cruiser Carsen Cruiser Top - AutoTruckToys.com

'03 Pt, headrest monitors, dvd, painted interior (kind of), modified air box, K&N drop in filter
Old 10 Jun 2008, 04:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Those of you who wish to buy a new convertible, better get one now, as DC is no longer making them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Jun 2008, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I first moved down to Florida in November of 2001. The local Chrysler dealer had a 4 door convertible conversion in the showroom. They were asking $30K for it.

Newport Convertible Engineering used to do the vert conversion for the PT but their website doesn't show a PT anymore.

Luxury Cars Vehicles Limousines Convertibles Coupes Sedans Ferrari Bentley Rolls Royce Acura BMW Designers Manufacturers CA California

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 10:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

surely one of those good ol boys down there in florida has taken an angle frinder to a roof or two, there has to be a few people that's do a conversion?

You thought about a full length soft sunroof?

This is a retro fit unit available for VW beetles (the proper one not the golf in a party dress), but I'm sure there's companies that could make this work for the PT.

http://www.oldbug.com/silversplit.htm
Old 10 Jun 2008, 11:37 am
Senior Cruiser

I wouldn't let anyone do this to my car but I have seen panoramic sunroofs on a PT what do you all think of that?
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 10 Jun 2008, 02:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Trust me (as a new vert owner), you would never want to ride or drive it to anything other than shows!
Even with the roll bar, and I installed a strut tower brace shortly after I bought the GT vert, the whole upper body & wndshield wiggles at different rates when going over big bumps...not potholes....just any big bumps. I love the vert, so I'm willing to put up with the questionable decreased body integrity.
That is very strange that you have those kind of problems, as the convertible is a whole lot stiffer & stronger body/chassis that the sedan, we have one of each, a sedan and a convertible, both '05s bought new and the convertible is very stable, and comfortable, we have been on many trips even towing a small trailer, and love the way the convertible handles, no vibrations of any kind, I did install the Mopar Stage 2 coil over suspension, and a strut bar, but even before that, It had no shaking or vibration that you describe, I also have never heard anyone else say that. If you have ever seen the blue prints for the convertible you would see just how stiff and strong it was built compared to the sedan, that is why it weighs 300 pounds more than the sedan, sorry to hear of your problems though. We love ours and would drive it anywhere with no worries.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/