Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Convertible Top boot cover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2008, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Convertible Top boot cover

When I bought my pre-owned PT convertible - the boot cover for the convertible top was missing. I have seen one on eBay for $99. Is it useful/woth the cost?
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible Top boot cover

we rarely put ours on, i believe it takes away from the look of the car...jmo...also it takes up nearly the entire trunk and is a pain to store in the house
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATFALLS View Post
we rarely put ours on, i believe it takes away from the look of the car...jmo...also it takes up nearly the entire trunk and is a pain to store in the house
And I thought it added a little extra class...

Does it do nothing protection wise? - keeping dirt, etc. from getting inside the convertible top mechanism
Old 24 Jul 2008, 01:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcmanzer View Post
And I thought it added a little extra class...

Does it do nothing protection wise? - keeping dirt, etc. from getting inside the convertible top mechanism
Yes, it keeps the dirt etc from getting down inside the mechanism and the rear window tracks, it also keeps the dirt from getting on the inside headliner, It also decreases the wind drag on the car, making it more aerodynamic, (less wind noise for the passengers in the rear), and also gives it that finished clean look, I keep mine rolled up in a plastic trash bag in the back of the trunk, unless I need to haul something larger, then I either put it in the back seat, or leave it home for those rare occasions.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 24 Jul 2008, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've got a friend with a Sebring convertible that learned the hard way that the cover also keeps the inside of the top from fading. Assuming that Chrysler doesn't use anything drastically different on the Sebrings (though I don't know if they have the extra layers of insulation) then that would be a consideration in the PTs as well.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 10:30 am
Young Cruiser

The boot was one of the first purchases I made after buying my PT used (base model didn't come with a boot). I will agree with the others as far as improving looks, keeping dirt out, and preventing headliner fade!

I don't like hauling it in the trunk due to the lack of space. Typically, if I'm going to take the time to put the boot on; I am at home. (I rarely put the top down at stop lights, etc. for a 15 minute drive). Saying all of that to say I attached a pulley to the ceiling of my garage and attached two of those plastic spring clamps (looks like huge clothes pins) to a scrap piece of lumber I had. I then attached that to a cable. When not in use, I clamp the boot in two places and pull it up against the ceiling out of the way, just like the hard top on my 'Benz convertible.

When I need it, I just lower it down and install.

'05 PT Convertible
'03 S500
'98 SL500
Old 25 Jul 2008, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I will be looking for one on eBay - the $99 taupe boot I was looking at was sold! The have lots of gray, but I need the beige color. I plan on riding and parking it with the top down most days during warm weather. So I think that it will come in handy.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Convertible Top boot cover

Keep watching e-bay! They usually have several on auction at any given time; usually only one taupe at a time. Retail is well over $200. So, it's a good buy if under $100!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 Aug 2008, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey, you may also want to check Craigs List as they also sell auto parts, have a friend that had an 05 Base vertible and bought his for 99.00 and was new.....good Luck and happy shopping.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 11:44 am
Cool Cruiser

I sold two of them on here. The factory ones are very nice. Not sure if the ones on eBay are factory or not. I know if you buy it straight from the dealership, they sell for $385 the last time I checked.

There is always some on eBay, just have to be patient!

I agree, the car looks WAY better with the boot on when the top is down. My problem is, it rains WAY too much in Florida to try driving around with the boot on, unless you have plenty of time to stop and take the boot off, and put the top on when it starts raining!

-Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre