Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
back seats don't click into place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2008, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default back seats don't click into place...

Or really I guess that it's one seat back that doesn't click into place--the part that folds forward with the release in the trunk.

The one that does click requires a lot of pressure--like so far I've had to be sitting in the backseat and really elbow it back into place. The other, I can tell hits the locking mechanism, but it won't actually lock the seat.

The mechanism definitely moves without problem, that was the first thing I checked.

I did notice this morning that the seats aren't lined up exactly--the seat that doesn't lock is slightly back further than the seat that does, somewhere between a 1/4 and a 1/2 an inch. Could this make the difference? I haven't fiddled too much with anything, but is there a way that I can adjust that myself?

I would like to know that I can secure the trunk as it's designed to be.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: back seats don't click into place...

I'm a little confused with your post. The seat back is released on the top of the seat. The seat itself is released on the side of the seat.

IF it is the seat itself, and they two seats are misaligned, it is possible that the seat itself isn't seated correctly. You may have to manhandle the seat and re-seat it by tipping it forward to make sure the front "hook" (one on each side) is locked over the rod in the forward "pocket". If you tip it forward, you will see what I mean.

Re-reading this I realize you have the convertible, the latch release system must be different, but I think the seats still tilt forward.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 26 Jul 2008 at 02:15 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, the seats in the convertibles are entirely different then seats in the regular PTs, in order to help provide extra security for the trunk since the cab of the vehicle can be so much easier to get into.

The entire seat back does NOT tip forward--there is a panel of the back that locks into place, with a release pull in the trunk. That panel folds forward onto the seat and then the whole seat can be tipped forward.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: back seats don't click into place...

OH! Convertible!
(you didn't fill out your profile after registration - so we didn't know what model of PT)
I have the same problem on my new one. So, thought I'd look at lubing the latch mechanism as first step (when I have extra time).

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I posted this into the Convertible forum, not thinking that people might stumble on to it from outside of that and not have any clue what I'm talking about.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I looked at it some more last night.

The loop (for lack of a better word) on the back of the seat does actually hook fully into the locking mechanism--some of the time. I need to double check the loop on the seat that works, but the one on the seat that doesn't work is rather wobbly--it hinges up and down pretty easily.

So when it's in the right position, it does click into the locking mechanism on the back wall. However, the locking mechanism doesn't hold and I can pull the seat down without too much trouble.

I think I need to get a second party to pull the seat release in the trunk while I watch and see what happens to see if the mechanism actually works the way it's supposed to.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

can you bring it back to the dealer ??
Old 31 Jul 2008, 09:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
can you bring it back to the dealer ??

The dealer I bought it from is way out in the country... But in general, yes, it's under warranty. I was hoping that someone else might have experienced the same problem though and have some tips as I'd like to not have to deal with taking it in just a few weeks after I got it.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The "loop" shouldn't wobble. Can you bring the seat forward enough to get a good look at it to see if there's any screws so you can tighten the "loop"?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.