Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
chrome belt moulding...fittment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2008, 11:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs down chrome belt moulding...fittment?

How do these suckers fit?

eBay Motors: PT Cruiser Chrome Convertible Curb Strips 5pc set (item 160267795813 end time Aug-11-08 13:06:23 PDT)

They look nice from the pics (anyone got any better pics w/them on?), but don't want to spend that kinda coin for crappy, uneven stick-on chrome.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: chrome belt moulding...fittment?

i have these on my pt and and yes they do stick on and as they are stainless steel unless you are a moron you cannot stick them on uneven as for them looking crappy have you ever seen them in the flesh..i am always getting good remarks about them..if you still think they look crappy save your money for some chrome plastic stick on bits...

Last edited by rebelcruzer; 04 Aug 2008 at 01:00 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car in the ad is mine. I can say the fit and durability are great. My car is a daily driver parked outside year round. On year three now with two winters under my belt, the finish has held up well and there have been no issues with any of the pieces loosening up.Here's a set of directions I made up for Maggie, follow these and you should have no issues.

Curb Strip installation:

Doors:
  1. Remove the inside mirror access panels (triangular shaped plastic).
  2. Disconnect wiring harness for power mirror (white plug).
  3. Remove the three 8mm nuts holding the mirror in place and remove mirror (deep socket or short extension may be helpful for lower nuts.)
  4. Test fit the door piece; they only go on one way so make sure the contour matches the existing door trim. Make sure the rear edge is approximately 1/16 from the end of the existing door trim as not to catch on anything getting in and out of the car.
  5. Clean down existing black trim, apply adhesion promoter and apply the door trim section working from the rear of the door forward.
  6. Reattach mirror, power plug and inside cover.
  7. Repeat process for the other door.

Rear Sections:
  1. Work one side at a time then attach the rear center section
  2. Test fit the pieces. Use the top inside edge of the existing trim as your guide.
  3. Clean down existing trim, apply adhesion promoter and apply the section working from the rear of the car forward.
  4. Repeat process for the other side.
  5. Test fit the center rear section. It should naturally match the existing trim. There will be gaps approx. between the center and side sections.
  6. Clean down existing trim, apply adhesion promoter and apply the center section.

Tips:
  1. Do not over tighten the mirrors.
  2. Use Prep-sol or 3M Adhesive and wax remover to clean the trim down.
  3. When applying the trim dont completely remove the film from the 3M tape. Instead peel back enough to leave a tail so that you can pull off the tape film as you are sticking the piece down. This helps with positioning when first lying down the piece and ensures better contact since it allows for slight movement or corrections as the piece lies down. Id recommend leaving tails at both ends just in case the film breaks while pulling it off from one side.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 04:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

THanks.

I have no problems them being stick-on.

I just didn't want trim that fit like junk. If they fit fine, then I'm sold as they do look nice.

Thanks a bunch!