PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tail lights blown out !!! ???

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tail lights blown out !!! ???

Has anyone had an issue with their tail lights blowing out? I have replaced 3 tail lights in the last 2 weeks. They were completely broken, not just the filament, but also the glass!

Not sure what could cause this, and why it just started after 3 years with no problems. If you have had this problem, please let me know.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA
Default Re: Tail lights blown out !!! ???

have you checked the fuse to see if it's ok? also have you check the harness there for any fraying or cuts?
Old 15 Aug 2008, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are the same as the original, or have you changed to a higher wattage??

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Aug 2008, 02:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

make sure that the bulbs are completely clean when you install them. oils from your fingers can heat up and do strange things to bulbs. clean the bulbs with denatured alcohol (or isopropyl) and dry with a clean cloth before install. latex gloves are nice, but you can use the rag to put the bulbs in. Do you have any moisture problems in the taillights?
Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. The fuse is OK, that was the first thing I checked. The new bulbs were all Mopar original. I'm wondering if there was some moisture ingression due to the folks at the car wash spraying the tail lights with their high-pressure hoses -- but this never happened before in 3.5 years of going to the same car wash.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 06:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

water getting in there ??
Old 25 Aug 2008, 03:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

I used to have the same problem, not w/ my PT, But with my previous car (Cavalier) and it was always blowing out, I had to change the actual Scoket that the light bulb plugged into...it's a plastic piece that should pop off the wires. Once I did that, it stopped the problem....Other then that, is the seal good?
Old 29 Dec 2009, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Rhoades View Post
Has anyone had an issue with their tail lights blowing out? I have replaced 3 tail lights in the last 2 weeks. They were completely broken, not just the filament, but also the glass!

Not sure what could cause this, and why it just started after 3 years with no problems. If you have had this problem, please let me know.
I have had 5 lights blown in 5 weeks - this seems to happen when I use the car wash that you drive thru - the lights are broken - not blown - have not found out how to correct
Old 29 Dec 2009, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by camamor View Post
I have had 5 lights blown in 5 weeks - this seems to happen when I use the car wash that you drive thru - the lights are broken - not blown - have not found out how to correct
Well, you know the cause - water getting in.
Take out the lights, get some silicone caulking, and go to it! Seal any/all openings - go along the seam - and where the bulbs go in.
RkyMtnHrse likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jun 2010, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Tail lights blown out !!! ???

The solution for this problems is simple.

On heavy rain or car wash water infiltrate inside and condensate water/explode the bulb.

Take out both tail lights and glue a piece of FOAM on the Breathing Hole between the two lamp sockets.

Never close this hole otherwise you may melt your tail light with the lamp heat.

Cheers
PT 2006 from BRAZIL
Lucy390