PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Nickel and Diming at 18K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2008, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Nickel and Diming at 18K

Hi Folks-

We are happy owners of a 2005 PT Cruiser with ragtop and turbo automatic, bought from Carmax in Southlake GA a month and a half ago, with 18K "original" miles.

I'm beginning to doubt the mileage, as in the month and a half we've had her, so far the AC went dead (cracks in a hose caused refrigerant leak) and now a leaky Power Steering Pump Tank (dealer said it's plastic and had a crack but repair required a whole new PS pump). We're just out of the B2B Chrysler Warranty by age, but thankfully I bought Carmax's warranty, still the thought of all these parts going bust at 18K miles seems strange to me. Do you think we have ourselves a lemon?

Peace,
Vecchio
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Nickel and Diming at 18K

Vecchio,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately both of the problems that you have had I've seen on many cruisers but they did have many more miles than you. Carmax is supposed to be a reputable dealer but if you don't mind spending a couple bucks, try having a CARFAX report done to see what comes up and also drop into any Chrysler dealer with your VIN to have that number run threw their computer to see what's been done by any dealer and at what mileage it was done. Also ask them if all recalls were completed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

Sounds like a Chrysler to me...

Had replaced: Front Axles, Wheel Bearings, Brakes/Rotors, two front speakers inside the car All Before or by 22K and JUST NOW my A/C is starting to go....Awesome...Although I figured that'd happen eventually ( I have 46,500 miles on it now. )

Every car has it's day, Hopefully everything works out for you!
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Nickel and Diming at 18K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy06PT View Post
Sounds like a Chrysler to me...

Had replaced: Front Axles, Wheel Bearings, Brakes/Rotors, two front speakers inside the car All Before or by 22K and JUST NOW my A/C is starting to go....Awesome...Although I figured that'd happen eventually ( I have 46,500 miles on it now. )

Every car has it's day, Hopefully everything works out for you!
Me too. Thanks to both you and Crewzin for the advice. Carfax looks clean (it was owned in Buffalo NY before being brought South in 2008, then registered and then quickly sold at auction - I suspect a repo/turn-in since that was a lightning quick period of time (less than 3 weeks.

We'll maintain it like a fiend (always at the dealership near us - I have found it stops most squabbling when it comes to serious warranty issues if you're a "regular customer") and keep our fingers crossed. Thanks to you both for writing!

Peace + Blessings.
D.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck. Don't forget to run the VIN through the dealership to see if all the recalls and updates to the computer have been done.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Good luck. Don't forget to run the VIN through the dealership to see if all the recalls and updates to the computer have been done.
Excellent advice and will do, Crewzin...

Seems to me they oughta have a web site where you can do that...but that'd make it too easy on us poor slobs who bought the damn things.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's some of the recalls:

Chrysler PT Cruiser Recall Information - Chrysler Recalls & Problems

Chrysler Recalls 464,000 PT Cruisers

Chrysler Truck PT Cruiser Recalls and Chrysler Truck PT Cruiser Repairs Information

CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Recall - Recall for CHRYSLER PT CRUISER

Old 25 Aug 2008, 11:57 pm
Young Cruiser

our power steering went out on our 05 vert turbo just a few months after we bought it new...now at 50k we are messing with the freon leaks....
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATFALLS View Post
our power steering went out on our 05 vert turbo just a few months after we bought it new...now at 50k we are messing with the freon leaks....
Interesting. Check out CREWZIN's post with a link to the recalls. One of those had to do with a PS hose that could cause all manor of hellfire and brimstone if not addressed - perhaps you missed a recall? I know that today I am shaggin my narrow little behind down to Jaysus H Chrysler to run my VIN against their mighty computer to see how many recalls our litle topless bird herself has missed out on - I SUSPECT IT'S AT LEAST A COUPLE. Funny thing is that very same dealer had her in the bay for an oil change service - you'd think that when they punched in the VIN if she were due for any recalls, that would have popped right up? Oh yeah, right. I forgot. Safety be damned - no dealer is gonna volunteer to hand out free service if he or she can help it...

Good luck to you! And me! And everyone!!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

By the way, am I the only one who gets into the PT and puts "Baby, Let's Cruise" by Smokey Robinson on the CD Player? It just makes me feel so cool that if I did smoke, I'd be smokin' a Kool while doing it, and maybe even drinking a Kool-Mule!!! LQTM