PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I Hate My Cruiser

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2008, 07:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default I Hate My Cruiser

OK; I'm really starting to hate my PT. First, control arms, then hub bearings. Now...Motor Mounts. All these issues on a '05; unbelievable. Car only just turned 41000. One more thing and you'll see the car posted for sale! God I miss my Eclipse Spyder. Now I remember why I bought an import last go around!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I Hate My Cruiser

It's hard to fault your reasoning to "dislike" your cruiser with all that going wrong. Did you buy it used? Sure sounds like your PT has been used/abused in the front end.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 08:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah; bought it "Brand Spankin Used", what a joke. Carries the balance of the power train warranty, but of course none of the affected parts are covered.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: I Hate My Cruiser

Ill give you $100 for it!
(BTW - control arm bushing gone on soonercruiser - right front - 30K - will be covered under warranty)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 11:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Guess you're lucky yours failed so soon! Unfortunately, mine went 2 months after my 90 day bumper to bumper expired (bought used).
Old 22 Nov 2008, 12:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it. I am starting to have front end problems as well. I just had a tierod that had lots of slop in it get replaced. While I was at it I ordered both outer tierods and the balljoints as well so that should be good for awhile. The struts are starting to get tired as well as I've noticed the front bobs at speed, but that's to be expected since I drive four miles of terrible gravel (read mud) road to get to gravel anytime I go anywhere.

The thing I do is shop around for parts, and try to make sure you buy quality components. Once you fix the problem, it's fixed, and no more worries. There's a physical limit to how many things can go wrong. The tierods and balljoints were all fixed with Spicer parts (red box I think, the premium ones) and I ordered Energy Suspension bushings to take care of the poor rubber ones that were used.

All in all the PT is a solid car, but it does have it's quirks, when they're taken care of you have a great car.

I've been buying factory replacement parts from Rock Auto, if you can do the work yourself, you'll save yourself a TON!

Hope some of that helps,
Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 22 Nov 2008, 07:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your PT. But remember every car comopany will get problems and some lemoms. Just look at all the repair places and dealer shops full of toyota's, nissan's mitsu's, bmw and so on. But when you get your repair bills on those import you might as well take out a home loan to paid for it. My brothers 05 toyota pickup cat converter went out at 22 thousand miles, lucky for him toyota covered it or it would have cost him $2200 just to replace it.....THATS CRAZY. Thats were they get you, on parts and labor.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 11:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosen View Post
OK; I'm really starting to hate my PT. First, control arms, then hub bearings. Now...Motor Mounts. All these issues on a '05; unbelievable. Car only just turned 41000. One more thing and you'll see the car posted for sale! God I miss my Eclipse Spyder. Now I remember why I bought an import last go around!

It happens, lol I replaced about all that stuff and more (except motor mounts ) before 36000. alot was at 22k...Not to mention it was hit while parked in a lot, $7000 in damages...sad huh? But getting back to basics, it's a Machine and it'll happen to the best of us. No worries :-)
Old 03 Mar 2013, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have owned this thing for approx. 9 months with nothing but problems...honestly if I had the money I would junk it and buy a new car...this car is the worst thing I have ever owned...and from what I have been reading I am not the only one...Chrysler really went out of there way to make this car garbage...uhg..so fed up!!!!!
Old 03 Mar 2013, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sorry to hear: I've loved every day of my 6 years with mine .. Probs do pop up, but if you stay on top of them, like any machinery, they don't hurt as much.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.