Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driver window auto close??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2009, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Driver window auto close??

Recently my driver window will not close completely. I will power it upwards and it wont close that final inch where normally it opens and closes up into ragtop when closing or opening the door.
I took it to a dealer and they said window regulator was gone, i will need to replace both window regulators due to software issue. $1000 bucks!!!
I did not go ahead with it as i thought they were full of ####.
Then 1 day shortly after when the weather got very cold here -10 celsius , wallah, the window went up all the way!! It worked untill it warmed up again and now back to same problem.
Can anybody help me as i do not believe window regulator is shot, because window DOES still go up and down but not that last inch to tuck up into ragtop?
Thanks
Looking forward to your replies
Sorry it is a 2005 PT Cruiser GT

Last edited by gbopper; 02 Mar 2009 at 11:06 am. Reason: Forgot year and model
Old 02 Mar 2009, 08:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Driver window auto close??

There's actually a reprogram that can be done to the SMG (Smart Glass Module). Not sure of your complete condition, but that might fix your prb.
Old 03 Mar 2009, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Driver window auto close??

Look at some of the historic threads on the issue.

Window problems

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 03 Mar 2009 at 11:03 am.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ah, ok..Those are the instructions to reset the Module but does not reprogram the module. The only way for the Module to be reprogramed is by the dealer.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raerae77 View Post
Ah, ok..Those are the instructions to reset the Module but does not reprogram the module. The only way for the Module to be reprogramed is by the dealer.

I needed to have my PCM firmware updated on my Sebring convertible but the dealer refused to do the update until all other options for the car had been exhausted...which basically meant about $700 worth of wasted time and my money. This was also one of the reasons I traded the car since there waas so little aftermarket support, hence so little knowledge of improving the 2.7 V6. Without those resources you are at the dealer's mercy, and that just sucks.

Hopefully you can find a dealer with a decent service dept who wont try and gouge your guts out...but trying to replace both window regulators for the sake of a programming issue sounds like the same similar bucket of horse manure.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have all kinds of issues with the smart windows, the way to fix the issue is to to disconnect the battery terminal for no less then 10 minutes, 5 will not due, you need to wipe out the memory. You may have to repeat this twice.
Magic...Please a little feed back is always appreciated, it took a lot of scientific experimenting...LOL
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

5 years later... I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2005 convertible. The driver's side window will not go up that extra ~1" (I've tried the battery reset several times for 10, 15 and even 30 minutes). Dealer also said some fuse or motor in the door handle needs replacing...which I find difficult to believe. The power window does work (i.e. - it goes up and down)...but the SGM or power window regulator isn't going up (or dropping) that last little bit when opening or closing the door. Works fine on the passenger side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 25 Sep 2014, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think your problem is in the door or a regulator, if you have a programming problem, it will be both windows, did this happened after a battery replacement or a dead battery?
Old 27 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just found this today a Service Bulletin that might help you with the window auto close issue.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/n9...125719_tsb.pdf
Old 27 Sep 2014, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Just found this today a Service Bulletin that might help you with the window auto close issue.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/n9...125719_tsb.pdf

Some mechanics indicate that when you jump start the PT Cruiser after the battery goes dead it makes the electrical circuit board malfunction and it requires flash reprogramming the PCM. I would check everything else before going to the dealer as they are expensive.