Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Problem with conv top closing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2009, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with conv top closing

New to the forum, but long time lurker.

I have an '05 PT Cruiser convertible that the top is not working correctly. I can get the top to open (although slowly), but forget about it closing. The pump sounds like it is struggling, but will only raise the top up 2-4in. The only way I can get the top to close is with someone help manual pushing the top up to close it while pressing the close button.

Has anyone had similar problems?

I am guessing that the top pump assembly is bad. I have looked at the pump assembly and there is plenty of fluid in the resevoir, so i do not suspect a leak of any kind. I am also guess that it is not a cylinder becuase when the top opens, it does not appear to be favoring one side more than the other.

I work on my own cars, so I want to avoid taking it to the dealer if possible (they want $50 just to give me a qoute on fixing the top).

Any help would be appreciated. I tried searching the forum, but came up empty.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 05:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with conv top closing

Did you know there is a bypass screw in the top of your trunk that will relieve the pressure so you can lower your top when it has problems without causing damage. It turns counterclockwise all the way till it stops turning to relieve pressure so you can open and close it as necessary. Once the top is in the required position turn it clockwise until seated. 2 N.m or (17 in. lbs.)

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just looked at the 2005 PT Cruiser & Convertible Service Manual and it looks complicated so if it were me I would let them tell me what is wrong with it and give a price to fix it before I made up my mind to fix it myself.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 10:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Descr,

Does the Service manual state anything about have to prime/purge the new convertable top hydraulics upon installation?

I just replaced the pump/hose/power actuator assembly with a new set from Chrysler (everything from the pump to the actutors came as one assembly), but the top does not move at all. Pump is running so it is not electrical. I can open and close the top manually, so I think there is no fluid at the actuators.

All-in-all, the replacement of the pump,hoses,actuators was simple, just had to remove the back seats and side panels to access the acuators. Only took 2-3hrs to replace.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 08:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

All it states in the books after it is installed is to "Hook up battery and Verify normal power top operation and check for hydraulic oil leaks. Adjust power top as necessary".
Is your Bypass screw still open? If it is still open it will need to be turned clockwise to close it.

Old 03 Jun 2009, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, Bypass screw is closed.
Thanks for looking in the manual. Yet another thing on this car that i tried to fix that is now worse.

Again, thanks for taking the time to look and respond.
Old 04 Jun 2009, 08:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry I couldnít have been more help but good luck with finding out what the problem is mwoodengr. You were lucky I hadnít sold the books yet they sell tonight in an auction on E-bay. Someone came along and made me a cash offer I just couldnít refuse on my PT Convertible, so I am selling what was left in the garage, the boot and the books. Both auctions end at 9:00 pm central time this evening if anyone is interested.

Old 04 Jun 2009, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the exact same problem right after I bought my 05 used. Took it to the dealer and he had no idea what was wrong with it. Quoted me a price for the whole top replacement. I did the screw by-pass and shut it completely off. Just by chance, I turned the screw back, and it worked. The farther I turned the screw back, the slower it came up, turn it back and it went up quicker. It's almost as if the hydraulics had built up pressue, and once the pressure was released it worked fine. That was about 3 yrs ago, and haven't had a problem since. Good luck.

mrmo63
Old 09 Jul 2009, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just bought a used 05 Conv and am experiencing a similar problem, although I have the added pleasure of a slight hydraulic fluid leak into the trunk as well. I appreciate this information and will be troubleshooting this weekend.

Did the OP solve his problem?
Old 30 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem with my '05. Took to the dealer and there was a kink in the hose. Works great now Cheap repair.