Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Am I missing a fuse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2009, 06:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Am I missing a fuse?

I have an 05 vert. that has been sitting for a couple of months and the battery was completely dead. After I charged it. The auto windows, locks and top do not work. I have looked at the fuses in the interior and the engine box-I can't find one blown. What am I missing? Thanks
Old 20 Jun 2009, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Am I missing a fuse?

Found this on PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

This week it was nice here in Western Europe, so my wife wanted to take her PT for a spin - top down of course. Unfortunately the battery was dead again. We jump started the engine and discovered that the electric windows and the top don't work anymore! We found a similar question (#1330) posted by another owner and checked the underhood 20amp fuse, which appears to be ok. Can you help me find out what happened and get my wife spinning her convertible again? Thanks! – Peter, from Belgium.

The operation of the convertible top is tied to the operation of the windows. The windows must lower (front window 40mm, lower the respective rear window for 0.52 seconds, approx. 55mm) before the driver window regulator module will ground the top up relay control circuit and allow the top to open. The modules control window motor operation, smart glass functions and the convertible top operations (driver window module).

Check all of the fuses in the PDC and interior fuse box.

If all the fuses are good check the condition of the battery. Automotive lead-acid batteries must be kept at or near full charge for optimum performance and longevity. If a battery is run down or becomes fully discharged, undesirable changes start to occur on the lead plates inside the battery. The plates develop a layer of sulfate that resist recharging and reduce the battery's ability to store power. If the battery is chronically rundown or discharged, it shortens battery life significantly. Continually jump starting the vehicle isn't good for the battery or interdependent charging and starting systems. Electrical systems and components can easily and inadvertently be damaged during this process. If you're not going to use the vehicle for a long period of time disconnect the IOD fuse to slow the battery discharge rate or remove the battery and periodically have it charged to maintain its condition. Review the IOD fuse information in your owner's manual or here.

If the fuses and battery ok, the dealer will have to diagnosis the issue with their scan tool and diagnostic manual. There is a TSB for this issue which affects some 2005 PT Convertibles and involves flash reprogramming the window regulator module.

Follow up from owner - It took the garage 3 hours of labor (claimed) so we had to pay Euro65 ($80) to get it fixed. According to the mechanic the electric circuit board malfunctioned after jumpstarting the car. The malfunction required flash reprogramming the PCM software.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.