Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Creaking Noise 05 Convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2009, 06:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Creaking Noise 05 Convertible

I have an 05 Convertible and have a creaking noise that sounds like it comes from the portion of the top where it attaches at the windshield. Does not do it all of the time, just some of the time. It sounds like it generates down through the a pillars. Has anyone had this occurance with their PT convetible?
No noise with the top down! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks CJ
K & N Drop In, MSD 8.5 MM Wires, Hood Scoops, MOPAR Rear Spoiler, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge, MOPAR Stage 1 Upgrade, AMX Intake Pipe, 225/50/16 Cooper Zeon RS3-A Tires on MB 16 X 7 Alpina Rims with MOPAR logo, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Air Box Oil Catch Can, GTS Head Light Covers, Cover Craft Front End Mask. "Coming Soon" AMX Intercooler Pipes, B Woody Mounts, Strut Bar, MOPAR Ground Effects Kit, Gold Line 2" Lowering Springs, KYB G2 Struts & Shocks, GT Instrument Cluster, Auto Stick Conversion
My Other Rides:
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 340 Auto Sassy Grass Green Numbers Matching with Air Grabber
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L Auto Flame Red Stage 1 Jet Performance Chip, K & N
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition 4X4 4.0L Auto Inferno Red
Old 14 Jul 2009, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Creaking Noise 05 Convertible

2006, and no such problem here.
But, if you do "localize" the noise to the top where it joins the windshield, try some silicone spray or white lithium grease on the connections. I apply some on joints like the door catches; work it a bunch of times; then wipe off all the excess so its doesn't "run" where you don't want it to.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Creaking Noise 05 Convertible

It seems that there had been some posts on the convertable tops and the dealers were to make some kind of adjustment. I tried a search last night but when over 200 posts came up, I gave up. I wasn't sure how to phrase the question to pinpoint the answer.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jul 2009, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey thanks for the info, I was thinking about applying some type of lube to the latches to see if it would help. I will ask the dealer also if they know of any adjustments for the top. Up here in North Dakota theres not very many convertible PT's so thier knowledge might not be that good!
K & N Drop In, MSD 8.5 MM Wires, Hood Scoops, MOPAR Rear Spoiler, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge, MOPAR Stage 1 Upgrade, AMX Intake Pipe, 225/50/16 Cooper Zeon RS3-A Tires on MB 16 X 7 Alpina Rims with MOPAR logo, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Air Box Oil Catch Can, GTS Head Light Covers, Cover Craft Front End Mask. "Coming Soon" AMX Intercooler Pipes, B Woody Mounts, Strut Bar, MOPAR Ground Effects Kit, Gold Line 2" Lowering Springs, KYB G2 Struts & Shocks, GT Instrument Cluster, Auto Stick Conversion
My Other Rides:
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 340 Auto Sassy Grass Green Numbers Matching with Air Grabber
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L Auto Flame Red Stage 1 Jet Performance Chip, K & N
Old 21 Jul 2009, 07:55 pm
Young Cruiser

My 05 convertible top was creaking and driving me crazy. The sound seemed to be coming from the passenger side latch area. The dealer replaced the latch mechanism. I now have one latch bar that is metal and one that has some kind of plastic or fiber coating over the metal. They only replaced one of the latch bars. What I mean by latch bars, it is the metal bar that the latch hook pulls on when it closes the top.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 09:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks PD, I will have to check into that option. The noise does sound like it comes from the passenger side latch area and then almost generates down the passenger side pillar. It gets annoying at times, not there all the time though. Thanks again for the info. I was wondering if the latches could be coated with that plastic dip stuff in a can and gain the same results?
My Other Rides:
Old 17 Dec 2010, 07:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Hey just an update, I'm a bit late. the lube on the latches did the job. I just keep a slight coat of silcone based lube and it all quiet. Thanks for the help everyone!
My Other Rides: