PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!! Changed the battery now the top won't go up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2009, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question HELP!! Changed the battery now the top won't go up!!!

Hey guy's/gal's I've done some "trolling", found a few similar problems, but nothing exactly like this and was wondering if anyone could help...

My Fiancee has a 2005 PT Convertible GT, her battery died while the top was down today. I replaced the battery... all is good, no problems... Until about 15 minutes later she calls me from the car wash telling me that the top won't go up. I tell her to come back home, not to worry, it's probably just a fuse... She got home, I checked both fuses, the one under the hood, and the one in the car itself BOTH were perfectly fine...

Come to find out AFTER doing a little research that there is a specific sequence you are supposed to remove, and replace the battery terminals... I'm pretty sure I did it completely "bass ackwards"!! I'm I totally eff'd? Did I fry something? Can I just disconnect the terminals (in the right order this time) let the circuits "bleed" for about 10-15 minutes, then reconnect (once again, in the right order)? OR do I need to do something "drastic", and take it to the dealer?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! I Need to get the top back up ASAP! w/o the headache of doing it manually!

Thank you in advance,
Beau
Old 08 Aug 2009, 08:58 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy
Default Re: HELP!! Changed the battery now the top won't go up!!!

I've had the battery terminals off and on in bothe sequences and no probs with the top. Are you sure the fuses are good? Sometimes they look good but really aren't. I'd maybe look at the up/down switch to see if you have power there. Do you hear anything when you press the up/down switch?
Old 08 Aug 2009, 10:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: HELP!! Changed the battery now the top won't go up!!!

Hey their beerbongbeau,

Sometimes if the battery was completely dead before replacing it, it may trigger ghosts in the system by way of interior lights not wanting to shut off, false codes, etc. I have even seen three separate instances where the power window switch will stall out half way down and act like a bad switch with no sound, no nothing, but turned out to just be an electrical glitch. Try removing the positive cable for about 5 minutes and reconnect to reset the system first. 99% of the time that should fix the problem. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I would go ahead and replace the fuses, and if still no response, I might see if I could pull the switch itself out and check it with a test light to see if your getting juice. Then it may be Dealer time, but check everything else first.

As far as I know, the sequence shouldn't make any difference as long as you didn't reverse the cables by accident and reverse the polarity of the battery at which point all you would do is fry the battery and need to buy a new one.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know what you find.

Go easy,

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 08 Aug 2009, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HELP!! Changed the battery now the top won't go up!!!

Iternets FTW!! Thank you very much candyman! Disconnected the positive terminal for 5 minutes, reconnected it... Boom! Top works again! Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 08 Aug 2009, 07:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: HELP!! Changed the battery now the top won't go up!!!

Hey their beerbongbeau,

Excellent! Glad I could help out. Resetting the system usually will do the trick.

Go easy, and I hope to catch ya around the Forums!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing