PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Converts and Uconnect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Converts and Uconnect

Guys and Gals,

Anybody care to share their experience with Uconnect Bluetooth and a Convertible? My bluetooth is almost impossible to hear with the top down at highway speeds.

Should I invest in the Uconnect kit or just buy a better bluetooth headset?

Thanks

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 23 Aug 2009, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Converts and Uconnect

I say forget about it. I've been in the Cellular Industry now for 24 years and I've never found a good way to talk with the top down on my car. I've got three of the "best" headsets now, and all three are worthless in the wind.

Jawbone, okay but users end volume is just too low, but other end doesn't hear all the wind noise, but if I can't hear them then what good is it?

Tried the Plantronics 650e, stated as having excellent noise reduction circuits, forget about it! Doesn't want to stay in my ear either.

Tried the Motorola H715, good fit, decent audio, too noisy at the other end. They have a stereo bluetooth set that I hear is good, but it wouldn't fit my big, fat head!

Move to Plantronics Discovery 925, now this is the FIRST bluetooth headset that I've used where the audio on my end had to be turned down! I love this thing but oh boy does it pick up wind noise. Now the funny thing is that the other end doesn't hear it, I do!!! So, it's the closest to one that really works, and if I put my head up by the windscreen I can still have a conversation.

Now Plantronics has come out with a new gizmo, and one I think I'm going to spend the bucks on. It's called the Voyager Pro. I had the Voyager 510 for a while, but it was like wearing a dog collar on my ear, a heavy dog collar. However the initial ratings on the Pro are stunning. Some info on this, and this is why I'm going to go get one:

Quote:
The advanced AudioIQ2 noise cancellation technology in the Plantronics Voyager® PRO Bluetooth® headset makes you sound like you're in the same room, not miles apart. No other headset has the combination of two noise-canceling mics on a boom to best capture your voice, three layers of WindSmart® technology to outsmart the wind and an adaptive 20-band equalizer tuned to maintain rich, balanced audio at comfortable listening volumes despite the noise around you.

Plantronics relentlessly comfort-tested materials and designs for extended wearing and then drop-tested for durability to achieve a Bluetooth headset perfected for today's mobile professional.

Features:

Dual-Mic AudioIQ2 Noise Canceling

* Dual-mic AudioIQ2 noise canceling technology enriches voice quality
* Advanced dual-mic AudioIQ2 technology cancels noise while retaining the unique sound of your voice

Receive Volume

* Full-spectrum audio at comfortable listening volumes
* Hear crisp, full-spectrum audio at comfortable sound levels that adjust to your noisy surroundings

Boom for Sound Quality

* Boom places mics where they best capture your voice
* Adjustable boom positions noise canceling mics where they best capture your voice

WindSmart

* Three layers of protection from wind noise
* WindSmart® technology, including stainless steel mic screens, acoustic fabrics and electronic filters, aggressively blocks intrusive wind noise

Comfort

* Comfort-tested for extended wearing
* Soft, flexible materials and balanced, lightweight design ideal for extended wearing

MultiPoint

* Multipoint technology pairs one headset to two phones
* Multipoint technology pairs one headset to two phones ? like a Smartphone and personal phone

Durability

* Durable headset withstands daily wear and tear
* Durable headset withstands daily wear and tear and easily folds flat for storage

Status Voice Prompts

* Voice prompts alert battery and mute status
* Convenient voice prompts automatically alert battery and mute status

Battery Life

* Fast-charging, long-lasting battery
* Powerful battery provides up to 6 hour continuous talk time
I'm not all that happy with the size, so it'll be the bluetooth in my car only. Here's a pic:

If I can find a source for on the cheap (they go for about $95 on sale), I'll let you know as I want one soon. To me, it's the one to go with if you want to try talking in a convertible.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've also heard good things about Callpod's Dragon, and you can get them really cheap. These have the longest range of any bluetooth headset I've seen so far. 328 feet you can go from your device and still hold a conversation!

Check them out HERE

Here's what they look like, and they block enough area around your ears that you really might be able to hear with these things!
Old 23 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check out the video on the Voyager Pro on this Amazon link!
Amazon.com: Plantronics Voyager PRO Bluetooth Headset: Cell Phones & Service

I just bid on one on eBay for $62. We'll see if I get it...lol

Last edited by Chromenut; 23 Aug 2009 at 08:38 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 12:07 am
Cool Cruiser

I used to ride large touring bikes, Gold Wings, Ventures and the like. We used a wind sock on our cb boom mikes. I wonder if that would help on a bluetooth with an extended boom like the Voyager Pro shown in Chromenut's post. Just a thought.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 06 Sep 2009, 04:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
<snip>

Now Plantronics has come out with a new gizmo, and one I think I'm going to spend the bucks on. It's called the Voyager Pro. <snip>

If I can find a source for on the cheap (they go for about $95 on sale), I'll let you know as I want one soon. To me, it's the one to go with if you want to try talking in a convertible.
So Chromnut, did you ever get one of these? If so what do you think?

Old 07 Sep 2009, 04:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes I did. Won it for $50 plus $10 shipping on eBay, so $60 for an earpiece that sells for $99 retail. And for once, I'm actually impressed. I tried first calling my wife with the air conditioner blowing in my face, she said she didn't hear any noise, so I turned it up full blast and she said once in a while she heard a "buffeting" sound.

So next put the top down and called her again. Again, only once in a while she heard the sound of wind buffeting. She said it was crystal clear, if maybe just a touch tinny.

So I used it on a conference call one morning on my way in to work, no one knew I was in my car!!! I love this thing!!! The earpiece, unlike the previous models that look similar, is very rubbery so it's easy to fit any size ear, any shape of head. The only critique I have is the tiny holes in the boom mike get caught, every once in a while, in my facial hair. I don't think that'll be a problem as long as your's is, but I keep like a constant 5 o'clock shadow going and it's getting caught in that once in a while. No biggie, and if that's the worst problem then I got a real winner here!

Battery time is phenomenal, I fully charged it and it lasted 5 full days, just as advertised. And when it gets low, a very soft feminine voice with a mild British accent says, "Your battery is getting low and needs to be recharged", or something similar. It shocked me the first time it did that while on a call, but the other end didn't hear it. So now I got one more voice in my head....lol

Attached a couple of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluet001.jpg (76.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bluet002.jpg (50.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bluet003.jpg (41.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Chromenut; 07 Sep 2009 at 04:19 am.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 07:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Chromenut, I'll go looking for one.

See you in Charlotte!

Last edited by SantaGuy; 07 Sep 2009 at 07:26 am.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 07:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Hey Chromenut,

My Voyager Pro came yesterday. ($55.00 + $6.00 s&h so I paid a buck more than you.) So far I love it. I'm surprised how comfortable it is.

I haven't had time to ride with the top down yet but I did have to cut down the volume. A first for me on any bluetooth.

Old 11 Sep 2009, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was just plain shocked today. Had the radio on, the AC blowing, the top down and had a conversation with my wife and she never knew I had the top down. I had to ask her if she heard any noise!!! I love this thing!

Hey, you coming over to Lowes Motor Speedway in the morning for the AutoFair? I'm just now about to wash my car. Been painting all day, intake manifold, airbox, other stuff... will post some pics soon.