Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do you use your Top Boot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2009, 04:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Do you use your Top Boot?

Do you use your top boot? If so why, if not why not?

With all my other ragtops I was always somewhat of a Top Boot Snob. I would never think of not putting on the boot even for short trips. I don't really feel that way about the PT and I'm not sure why. I think maybe to me the folded top looks like a carriage top.

Mine did not come with a boot but I have one coming from eBay. I am sure I will want it for parades, shows, cruise ins and of course Santa appearances.

So what do you think?

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 06 Sep 2009, 06:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Do you use your Top Boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaGuy View Post
Do you use your top boot? If so why, if not why not?
My car came with one and I use it if I know that the top will be down for a long time, it looks a lot better. But having said that, it is pain in the butt to put it on and off all the time. I don't use it if I'm only putting the top down for short trips or if I am going shopping when I usually put the top up. It looks a lot more finished with the top boot on the car.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 07 Sep 2009, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Do you use your Top Boot?

Not for quick, short trips.
Mostly for shows, or crusin'!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 07 Sep 2009, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
My car came with one and I use it if I know that the top will be down for a long time, it looks a lot better. But having said that, it is pain in the butt to put it on and off all the time. I don't use it if I'm only putting the top down for short trips or if I am going shopping when I usually put the top up. It looks a lot more finished with the top boot on the car.

Terry
x2

Every show, weather permitting, I use it. Had it on this weekend for Cars & Coffee. I use the cars in parades about 4 to 5 times a year and always nice with the boot on when my daughter is sitting high up on the back. Thing is a pain to keep clean, but it does clean up appearances.

I've designed a "boot bag" that I'm trying to put together now. It's something that won't be finished until winter when the weekends become boring. I'tll be in a dark gray faux leather with a leather draw string, PT Cruiser badge on it hopefully in BIG letters. Soft interior to keep it from scratching. Something you can toss in the trunk or backseat that will protect it while keeping it neatly cuddled. Will post pics when I do the first one, thinking of selling them when I get a few made up....

ONe other thing, I find that most PT'ers put them on incorrectly. The flap in the back, along with the arched portion, is supposed to go UNDER the belt seam, not rest on top of it. If you look at the difference in the back, you can see how much cleaner it looks tucked in. Add to that, it makes it easier to line it up for the channel at the leading edge and the snaps at the front.

This one is going to blow off in the wind...

Completely in - took it to 105 mph and it stayed fixed...

Half in, half out....

Last edited by Chromenut; 07 Sep 2009 at 10:29 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 10:17 pm
Young Cruiser

I only use mine if I know that the weather is going to permit keeping the top down for an extended period of time. Doesn't take very long to put it on and the Cruiser definitely Looks better with it on.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top Down on PT Cruiser 003.JPG (15.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 07 Sep 2009, 11:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree, they look much more "complete" with the boot on. I keep the airdam up on the back, in essence making my car a two-seater, only comes out for parades when my daughter rides in the back. I store my boot under there as you really don't notice it since the whole back seat becomes a storage area...

Old 07 Sep 2009, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Chromenut,

I'm hip to putting the boot on properly. I had the boot blow off my '96 tang on I 40 near Hickory. I recovered it but not before it was run over by 2 trucks. Fortunately the damage was minor.

According to the shipping info mine should be in by Wednesday. In plenty of time for Autofair.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 08 Sep 2009, 02:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I agree, they look much more "complete" with the boot on. I keep the airdam up on the back, in essence making my car a two-seater, only comes out for parades when my daughter rides in the back. I store my boot under there as you really don't notice it since the whole back seat becomes a storage area...
Does the windscreen work well? I do have a spoiler on the back of my car.

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit

Last edited by Windancer; 08 Sep 2009 at 02:03 am. Reason: more spelling!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

I wish I had a top boot, I've got to find one. I need a graphite or black one.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Love the windscreen. Cuts about half the wind off of you and still gives the car an open feel. Also, good for hiding stuff under, even though it's mesh, it still keeps prying eyes out of the back fairly well. Mine stays in almost all the time.

And I want that rear spoiler!!!