Advertisements
Driver Side Window Problems...ANNOYING

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2009, 12:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT
Default Driver Side Window Problems...ANNOYING

its such a dumb problem but its really a big aggrivation.....

I have a 2006 PT Convertible, and with the convertibles when you open the doors the window is supposed to go down a little bit so its not stuck in the top...mine stopped doing that and makes it hard to open the door and it sticks, Its only been doing it a few days but it's not getting any better either. Other then that, the window still works just fine.

I have to open the window, get out of the car, go back in on the passenger side and close the window then lock up the car. After a few days of this I kinda got tired of it. I can't just leave my window cracked open, it's raining out.

Anything that might cause this? Anyone have this issue and if so what it an expensive fix?

Thanks
Old 22 Sep 2009, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Driver Side Window Problems...ANNOYING

hey, consult a mechanic for it. I think there is some wiring problem.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 04:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy06PT View Post
its such a dumb problem but its really a big aggrivation.....

I have a 2006 PT Convertible, and with the convertibles when you open the doors the window is supposed to go down a little bit so its not stuck in the top...mine stopped doing that and makes it hard to open the door and it sticks, Its only been doing it a few days but it's not getting any better either. Other then that, the window still works just fine.

I have to open the window, get out of the car, go back in on the passenger side and close the window then lock up the car. After a few days of this I kinda got tired of it. I can't just leave my window cracked open, it's raining out.

Anything that might cause this? Anyone have this issue and if so what it an expensive fix?

Thanks
Hey your problems seems to be sucking you .well why dont you consult a mechanic or the dealer for your problem .It might cost you a bit but atleast your problem would be solved and you dont have to be bothered
Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds like a computer problem

Disconnect one battery terminal, wait 10 minutes & reconnect - that reboots the computer.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 07:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

This is a typical problem. 2 fixes for this. 1) turn the car on, with the windows up, put the top all the way down. Then, put the top back up all the way. This fixes the problem most of the time. Something gets out of sync with the computer/door/top and it doesn't work.
2) There is a rod on the inside of the door that goes from the inside handle to the door latch. The wire is not really heavy enough and it bends slightly to not allow the switch to know you are opening the door. You have to straighten out the bends a little to make the rod longer again. Not by a lot, maybe 1/8-3/16". I had to do this on my 05 in the first year. I tried adjusting the screw at the end of the door. Nothing. Bent the rod works every time now.
They don't like to sit and let the battery get low or not be driven for long lengths of time for some reason or be jump started. Mine still does this but after I bent the rod back the lowering top trick works all the time. I have to do it about every 4-6 months.
DJSELLERS likes this.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Marton is right, disconnect the battery and wait 10-15 minutes...that is all we do at the dealership and charge you $90.00
Old 20 Jan 2010, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Driver Side Window Problems...ANNOYING

Great stuff 340!
I will print this tip out and place it in soonercruiser's notebook!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340x View Post
This is a typical problem. 2 fixes for this. 1) turn the car on, with the windows up, put the top all the way down. Then, put the top back up all the way. This fixes the problem most of the time. Something gets out of sync with the computer/door/top and it doesn't work.
2) There is a rod on the inside of the door that goes from the inside handle to the door latch. The wire is not really heavy enough and it bends slightly to not allow the switch to know you are opening the door. You have to straighten out the bends a little to make the rod longer again. Not by a lot, maybe 1/8-3/16". I had to do this on my 05 in the first year. I tried adjusting the screw at the end of the door. Nothing. Bent the rod works every time now.
They don't like to sit and let the battery get low or not be driven for long lengths of time for some reason or be jump started. Mine still does this but after I bent the rod back the lowering top trick works all the time. I have to do it about every 4-6 months.
This helped me! I installed some speakers in my daughters GT convertible which by the way, the back 6x9's are a bear to get to. Anyway, my wife and I went to dinner last night and the alarm kept going off. So after the third time I just kept the doors unlocked after not being able to figure out what the problem was. The next day I checked and the drivers side window was not all the way up as it should be. I mean it was a 1/8 inch or less gap between the top and the top of the glass. I read this post and took off the drivers side panel and bent the rod a little and presto. Fixed the window gap and the alarm issue.
Old 02 Dec 2015, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Driver Side Window Problems...ANNOYING

Had this problem today, thanks to this forum, I have fixed my driver windows problem!! Great job guys!! Straightened out the rod and bam it works again!! Just don't straighten it out too much because your inner door handle won't release back into the door on its own!! The battery disconnect didn't work for me!!
Old 01 Apr 2018, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found this article after searching Google. I wanted to update this with what I found and corrected the problem. The wires leading into the motor had broken right outside of the pigtail. From the motor riding up and down with the window. I took out the door speaker and used a 3mm hex key driver to remove the motor. I then removed the pigtail and butt spliced the wires together. Window is now working like a charm. I found the problem by checking voltage with a 12v test light. First on the back of the switch and then at the motor when I pulled it off. Hope this helps someone else.
rckstein likes this.