Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just Bought Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Just Bought Please help

Just bought a 2005 Convertible PT Cruiser. with 70K+ miles.
The car is in great shape and was well taken care of.

When the dealer brough the car around for me to test drive, the car was running and the radio was ON and blasting music. First thing I did was turn the radio off so I could hear any noices on the test drive.
I bought the car the following day, and on my way home I couldn't figure out how to turn the radio on but I didn't care since the top was down.

Now at home the radio works but only when the ignition is turned to the ACC position. The minute I turn the car ON the radio stops working. It seems to get no power. No clock, the only thing it does is allow me to select what CD I want to eject out of the 6 CD changer. It won't play a CD it just ejects them.

Is this some kind of convertible radio feature??

Other problems I mixed before buying the car. Horn doesn't work, and the driver side door lock switch doesn't work.

Thanks for any help
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just Bought Please help

I don't know what to tell you on the radio issue other than no, it is not a feature for the convertibles. Mine worked fine, until I replaced it.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 10:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDowncruiser View Post
Is this some kind of convertible radio feature??
Congrats on your purchase, mine has only 8000 miles on it. To answer your question, no it is not a feature of the car at all. You must have some wiring problems, because it shouldn't be like that. I just replaced my stock radio/6 disc player (see Ipod Question) and had no problems.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 18 Sep 2009, 06:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Just Bought Please help

I FOUND THE problem!!!!!! I was under the dash late last ngiht. It was buging me that I could had missed these obvious problems.

Loose wire harness under the dash board. The cause an correction I'm still looking for but is one of two:

The dealer low-jacks the cars in the lot, so when they ripped the low-jack out thet pulled the harnes loose

OR

When I mas adjusting the tilt stearing the harness is too tight and it came loose.

Minor problems, to be expected on a used car. Let the cruising begin
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Begin cruising !

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your ride ! Glad you got your PT Convert de-bugged.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Congrats on your purchase.

You didn't say you fixed the horn. Was that fixed while finding the harness problem? If not, I'd take it back to the dealer before pulling anything apart.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From brand new our 2006, the horn would not work, dealer changed the steering wheel, tried many other things before it was finally fixed. It did have one spot where IF you pressed just right it would blow, but just that one spot. Supplier problem and it was fixed!!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Sep 2009, 01:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Horn ring on these things are notoriously finicky. Mine also went out, took about 5 minutes for them to replace it...
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

WELLCOME TOP DOWN CRUISER, Im glad you found the problem so fast yeay go check out the last one post its a hoot.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, verything is fix. I been playing all weekend with the Stearing wheel tilt, and the problem has not returned.

When the dealer pulled the Low-jack out of the car they didn't plug the harness it back correctly.

Wouldn't you know it. Dry as a bone for 3 weeks, I buy my 1st convertible and it has done nothing but rain this weekend