PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
excited i just got a new pt cruiser convert. now need some help :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2009, 04:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default excited i just got a new pt cruiser convert. now need some help :D

hello all,

im truly new to this forum but i couldn't resist joining as i JUST bought 2005 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. it's november in new jersey, but i hope to enjoy top down as soon as it gets above 60.

my googling has shown that PT Cruiser Touring Edition only comes as automatics; guess what? mine's manual (dealer & carfax & rear end of my car). it has non-turbo 2.4L L5 FI DOHC 16V (base?) and ABS (no available on base trim). what's happening? i guess my research might be wrong.

umm also now that i have a wonderful car, i would like to protect it :P so ive been lurking around ebay to find a car cover, seat covers, floor mats, and whatnot. a weird feeling about owning a convertible (first time is i dont know whether i should try to protect the top (fading over years?), especially over a rainy/snowy winter. also i couldn't find exactly whether car/seat covers made for 05-08 wagons are compatible with 05 convertible. i appreciate your suggestions; here are some affordable ones i found;
CAR COVER chrysler PT CRUISER PTCRUISER 01-06 05 04 03:eBay Motors (item 190345554678 end time Nov-28-09 16:24:26 PST)
2005-08 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Seat Cover fb061:eBay Motors (item 260499213956 end time Nov-29-09 10:40:35 PST)

this has been like the first decent car since 2005 or so. thus im quite excited but as having it as a commuter and all, i would like to keep it reliable and all that good stuffs. im not an aggressive driver and especially would be a good drive just to get good MPG. is there anything i should do/look out for? (i.e. check up to make sure that a dealer has done all the checkups, they said they have done have been done, correctly - wow that's a long sentence) or am i over-worrying? hehe

thanks lots
hushpuppy
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: excited i just got a new pt cruiser convert. now need some help :D

What I would do -
1) Change the oil/filter - put in synthetic, get a Mobil1 filter - you don't know what oil is in there or when it was changed last - then you would know.
2) check the tires - inside driver door is a sticker saying recommended PSI - go 2-3 PSI over - it's getting colder and pressure drops with temp - every car I ever got from a dealer was way low on pressure - wears the tires and eats gas. Also see how tires are wearing - whether you need an alignment.

Never had a 'vert, so I'm no help there, but turn up the heat and put the top down!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I bought my vert in the winter time too, and drove it home with the top down, parka on, heater on full blast! lol.. Here's an inexpensive suggestion for you - get yourself a Cali Pop Top! Use it all the time! It will extend the life of your rag top, it's a bit easier to install and take down than the full car cover, but keep a plastic trashbag in the trunk for those wet or snowy days. I pull mine off, start the car, and am ready to go. Now frozen windows!!!

Huge tip for you, up in Jersey (which by the way, where? I've lived in Bedminster and Andover, moved here from there), get yourself some of that window cleaner with RainX in it, I'll post a picture shortly, and keep that and some paper towels in your trunk. Well, maybe not cause it might freeze up there, down here I don't have that cold weather. Anyway, clean your windows all the time with that stuff and you won't have problems with stuff sticking to them, but more than that, you have a vert. That means you have the drop-windows. If they get wet and freeze, you are locked out of your car as you can't get your doors to open! Believe me, that's experience talking! I take a papertowel and soak it in that RainX window cleaner and rub it on the rubber trim round the two front windows. Keeps them from sticking.

I'll think of quite a few other suggestions too and post them here when my brain is fully engaged... still too early in the day.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think the rain-x stuff he's talking about has de-icer in it - I use it in my window sprayers - bright orange - doesn't freeze on your windows and the water beads off so you don't need wipers as much.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Went in my garage (working from home today) and looked - it's called "Rain-x 2-in-1". It says it's good to -25! ! !
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the Cali Pop Top in use

Old 20 Nov 2009, 10:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: excited i just got a new pt cruiser convert. now need some help :D

Be sure to use RaggTopp!
(cleaner & protectant kit)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hushpuppy,

Santa's Sleigh is my 6th vert snd 1st PT.

The best advice I can give any vert owner is to never leave anything in the car you value and don't lock it. If they can see inside that there's nothing there and they can open the door, you should avoid a cut top. I've never had a top cut. (Knock wood.)

One thing I learned the other day is that if you lock the doors with the remote or electric switch then unlock the knobs manually you will have an unlocked car with the alarm set.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Be sure to use RaggTopp!
(cleaner & protectant kit)
I used RaggTopp last year, but this year I bought a $17 bottle of Mopar (dealer item) top protector that is used on the Viper. Judging by the way it went on and the feel of it, I think it is much better than RaggTopp. More expensive, but then so is a new top. There's more than enough in the bottle to fully saturate a PT top.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 07 Dec 2009, 01:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks lots for all comments! yeah, i definitely dont leave anything in my car now

One question; is Cali Pop Top that much greater than just a regular car seat (which sells at a much lower price)??