PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 GT convertible brake pads and rotors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2010, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking 2005 GT convertible brake pads and rotors

All,

Have changed water and fuel pumps, installed alarms and stereos, but never worked on brakes.

I want to change the brake pads and rotors on my 2005 GT Turbo Convertible, and wondered if I can assume since mine is a GT, it has the larger sized calipers? I want to change them to ceramic pads and new rotors, and want to make sure I have the correct size. How can I tell if they are the larger sized ones? Any markings on the calipers?

Also, it has ABS brakes as standard equipment, so is there anything special I should know about regarding ABS brakes when I try to change the pads?

Or can I just use a "C Clamp" and old brake pad to close the piston little by little and just monitor the brake fluid level with the cap off and change the pads normally?

Thanks!

Last edited by mixedplate; 07 Jan 2010 at 02:05 am.
Old 06 Jan 2010, 09:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 GT convertible brake pads and rotors

go to advanced auto parts, online and punch in your car, it will ask for year, model and turbo and will list all the part #'s and prices for rotors and pads.

I go with Raybestos rotors and pads and your good to go. I had a problem with the rear pads, had to bring them back as I recall.
Old 07 Jan 2010, 06:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have done brakes on 5 PTs with ABS and used the C clamp on piston with no ill effects.
I like Raybestos, too. I heard that the top of the line ceramic pad NAPA sells is Raybestos..
TireRack.com also sells brakes

Your calipers should say "turbo" on them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 07 Jan 2010 at 06:46 am.
Old 07 Jan 2010, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great info. It's much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12 Jan 2010, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Changed them to ceramic pads, put in new rotors, and now my brakes work fantastic. Was easier than I thought. Thanks again for all the great advice here.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 12:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just curious, what rotors did you use? Did you keep the same calipers?
Glad to hear it was an easy job, hope mine will be as well!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Purchased the premium performance rotors from Napa (no difference from slotted/drilled rotors, unless you are racing or just want to spend xtra money for the look), and used Bendix ceramic pads in the front and rear. Bendix was one of the few brands that sold ceramic pads for both the front AND rear. Just look for them online. Napa, Schucks, autozone, etc. only sold semi metallic pads for the rear, but I preferred to have all ceramic pads for all my brakes. Just used the original calipers, since the GT has original larger calipers (says turbo on them) than the normal pt cruisers. But I painted my calipers a silver metallic chrome to match my car's paint, which is silver. Just went to Home Depot, purchased some metallic paint, and painted my calipers. If I get bored of the color, I can just repaint them to another color...
Also, go to ehow.com for info on removing the brakes and rotors; there is a fantastic "how to" with pictures.

Last edited by mixedplate; 02 Feb 2010 at 09:22 am.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I am going for "the look" so it will be zinc plated slotted and dimpled rotors. I still haven't gotten around to doing mine as the frozen caliper seems to only happen after I turn traction control off. I was experimenting to see if I get better mpg with it off, but now it seems that it may be causing my brakes to grab. I'm researching the trac control system but finding very little info. I wonder if anyone out here has ever had an issue with traction control locking or restricting the front brakes? Anyone?