Advertisements
PCV Valve location?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2010, 08:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to greenphantom61
Default Re: PCV Valve location?

I have an '05 Limited Touring Edition Turbo model (found in 13% of pt cruisers) with a VIN # E (8th digit) and it has no PCV valve. Where it would normally be (near the oil fill cap and #1 spark plug, passengers side) there is only an Aspirater which is basically an open (hollow) 90 plastic fitting with a 3/8" tube connected that goes straight into the back of the intake manifold. Reason being is there is a baffel inside the intake cover to help keep oil out of it. So the PCV system is also integral with the cylinder head cover and no replacement parts needed. I have read where oil will build up sludge and possibly clog up but if you use good oil (synthetic is my choice) and change it when needed I don't think this should be a problem. If you are concerned, take off the oil cap and shine a light inside there towards the back and see if you see any build up. Happy Trails.................
Old 13 Nov 2010, 11:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Yes, there are two differant pcv valve on our engines (one per engine type). As has been said, the turbos pcv valve is beside the oil fill cap and are "L" shaped, quarter turn and push/pull to insert/release. The turbo pcv operates at slightly differant pressure levels that the N/A pcv.

The N/A pcv valve is located on the driver side of the cam cover and is a "screw-in" type. It's located at the far end of the cover and isjust above the cam position sensor and its hose goes to the intake manifold just as the turbos pcv valve does.

Both of these pcv systems are designed to be a "closed loop" system and must have the other cam cover hose that goes to the air intake filter in place for the system to work at its peak performance. I'm told that Darryl at DCR has done dyno tests with the 2nd hose (to the air intake) unhooked and a small filter added to the open hose end and he reported losing almost 20 horses when going this direction. Darryl is one of the most respected performance people around and I take him at his word. Personally, I learned early in my speed shop days, that the same thing was true from the early days back in the sixties, that there were performance gains to be had by keeping the system "closed" as it was designed. Keep in mind that DCR was using the turbo version to do these runs and I'm told the greatest loss was at high rpm.

Jerry
twodees likes this.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 11:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Some pics of the two differant pcv valves.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcv valves 004.jpg (94.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg PCV VALVES 003.jpg (80.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg PCV VALVES 008.jpg (77.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg PCV VALVES 005.jpg (90.4 KB, 179 views)
Old 13 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

greenphantom61, look closely at the end views of the "L" shaped (90 degree) pcv and you'll see the check valve ball in the opening. In other words, it is a "real live" pcv valve, not just a hollow "aspirator".

Jerry
Old 08 Jul 2011, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And this thread lives on...

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser GT (2.4 HO - not Limited Touring Edition) and I'm having some bluish white smoke so I'm on the hunt now, for the PCV.

The "L" valve.. hmmm hollow aspirator (?) is in fact, hollow. No ball, no spring.

The service manual I have which, has the most horrible illustrations I have ever seen in a manual.. no... my 1971 Jawa Motorcycle... that is worse... clearly says the PCV is on the drivers side... top of the intake but...this is no PCV valve that you screw. I'll try to upload pics later... hands covered with engine dirt right now but... it looks like one end of a generic PCV and the rest of it may reside with the valve cover. ???? Doubt it.

So as I'm trying to troubleshoot this bluish white smoke that has appeared all of a sudden.. I found the air inlet hose.. from the air intake tank to the (inside the valve cover) PCV was not connected. Maybe I knocked it off when replacing air filter. Do you think this will fix my bluish white smoke???
Old 12 Jul 2011, 04:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

The PCV valve is actually on the passenger's side, near the oil cap for GT high output turbo engines. It looks like an "L" shape as stated a few posts above. For the n/a engines, it is on the driver's side as stated in the manual. I also have a 2005 GT high output turbo convertible with 5-speed transmission, and changed the pcv valve with no problems. It does have a little ball inside of it, and I got mine at NAPA auto parts for cheap. Hope this helps.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PCV valve location Non-Trubo (not my engine).

squarebeer and ljs like this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have already proved that the "L" shaped plastic piece on the passenger side is in fact not a PCV. As I have not yet corrected the bluish white smoke that is being produced upon start-up... It looks like I will be removing the valve covers to inspect and replace if necessary the valve seals. Once I remove the valve cover I'll check out that suspected PCV on the driver's side and I'll upload pix.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye304 View Post
I have already proved that the "L" shaped plastic piece on the passenger side is in fact not a PCV. As I have not yet corrected the bluish white smoke that is being produced upon start-up... It looks like I will be removing the valve covers to inspect and replace if necessary the valve seals. Once I remove the valve cover I'll check out that suspected PCV on the driver's side and I'll upload pix.
Is yours a turbo?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

popeye,

You've already posted this on your hunt to stop the white smoke: "So as I'm trying to troubleshoot this bluish white smoke that has appeared all of a sudden.. I found the air inlet hose.. from the air intake tank to the (inside the valve cover) PCV was not connected."

So when you said that in your other post, doesn't that mean you DID find the PCV valve on the drivers side, like in my picture a few posts back.

Looks like somebody screwed up somewhere on your daughter's GT. Everyone else with the GT has the valve on the passenger side but next to the oil fill. Is it possible someone before your daughter, who owned the car, had some work done and put a non-turbo valve cover on your daughter GT?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.