Is yours a turbo?
Yes, my daughter's PT is a Turbo.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PCV Valve location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
popeye,

You've already posted this on your hunt to stop the white smoke: "So as I'm trying to troubleshoot this bluish white smoke that has appeared all of a sudden.. I found the air inlet hose.. from the air intake tank to the (inside the valve cover) PCV was not connected."

So when you said that in your other post, doesn't that mean you DID find the PCV valve on the drivers side, like in my picture a few posts back.

Looks like somebody screwed up somewhere on your daughter's GT. Everyone else with the GT has the valve on the passenger side but next to the oil fill. Is it possible someone before your daughter, who owned the car, had some work done and put a non-turbo valve cover on your daughter GT?
I suppose anything is possible. The salesman who sold us the car told us that the PT was used by a retired couple who towed the PT around the country. Wait, do you think this is a variant of the little old lady who... hahaha

So I suppose anything is possible. The plastic aspirator on the passenger side looks factory original. The suspected PCV or check valve on the driver's side... looks original. The plugs were absolutely original. You know the car was real clean, super clean. I'm not kidding you. Whoever owned it prior to my baby, kept real good care of it. I can't believe that the PCV would have already been replaced? We purchased this car at 105K miles.

Now it absolutley wouldn't surprise me that Chrysler would have slipped something different onto the car. I have a 2004 Dodge Intrepid w/3.7L for my other daughter... I replaced the timing chain, water pump, and what was it, the oil pump too? I don't recall... anyway... I replaced everything but, the one sprocket I installed was not the correct part. It seems that this 2004 3.7L utilized a different sprocket for 2004 only. Thankfully I had an oscilliscope because this problem plagued me for two weeks. ugh!
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The PVC valve is right next to the oil fill on a PT Turbo. Why don't you take a picture so you can show us what you have instead of a PVC valve?...maybe you have a N/A valve cover.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
The PVC valve is right next to the oil fill on a PT Turbo. Why don't you take a picture so you can show us what you have instead of a PVC valve?...maybe you have a N/A valve cover.

I think that's what I said.

"Looks like somebody screwed up somewhere on your daughter's GT. Everyone else with the GT has the valve on the passenger side but next to the oil fill. Is it possible someone before your daughter, who owned the car, had some work done and put a non-turbo valve cover on your daughter GT?"
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Jul 2011 at 04:44 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

One question, what color and what material is your valve cover ?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I hope these pix are good enough. Let me try and post these pix in some sort of order... wish me luck!

Last edited by popeye304; 24 Jul 2011 at 05:15 pm. Reason: Wrong picture format maybe???
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That IS the PCV valve right next to the oil fill cap. Why did you say it is not?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
That IS the PCV valve right next to the oil fill cap. Why did you say it is not?
It is just a hollow pipe. No spring. No ball.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

So probably the spring and ball is gone...nobody even changed it before?...but that is the PCV valve.
I just wonder how much boost you were loosing, because some of us are running that PCV valve plus a check valve and catch can to make sure you don't loose any boost and no oil goes in the intake.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
So probably the spring and ball is gone...nobody even changed it before?...but that is the PCV valve.
I just wonder how much boost you were loosing, because some of us are running that PCV valve plus a check valve and catch can to make sure you don't loose any boost and no oil goes in the intake.
I can't believe anyone would have changed the PCV... maybe the dealer played a trick? We've had the vehicle for over a year now. As to boost... I'm not familiar with turbos but this vehicle never was a powerhouse. Fun to drive but again, not powerful. Then again, I have a Suzuki Bandit 1200S... That is powerful!