Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 GT Convertible Brakes ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2010, 08:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 GT Convertible Brakes ???

Hi all. I'm new out on this thread and thought it would be a great place to research enhancements to my (relatively) new vehicle. I bought an 05 GT Convertible (HO Turbo) in Oct 09 and it's run great sans the lower then expected gas mileage. Now it appears my brake calipers are hanging, specifically the passenger front. It seems to be periodic and random. To be on the safe side I'm going to replace both front calipers, rotors, and pads. I'm thinking diamond or dimpled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads but not sure if there is an upgraded caliper or which caliper would be best. Any thoughts? While I'm there, should I do wheel bearings as well? I plan on doing at least rear rotors and pads for appearance, should I do calipers and bearings back there as well? Any monsters hiding in this type of repair?
I appreciate any advice and feedback!
Old 26 Jan 2010, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 GT Convertible Brakes ???

Welcome to the forum.
I considered your move a few years back, BTW....
Go to TireRack - they have lots of brake options for you to look at.
Why do you suspect bearings? How many miles?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jan 2010, 08:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the fast reply. I don't think the bearings are an issue, but, since I'll have all else apart....
Bought it with 28,800, now have 35,500 miles. When I bought it the dealer put on new rotors, pads, and tires.
I'm not really sure it's a caliper issue, but want to be safe, and then there's the appearance factor hence the diamond slotted rotors (zink plated). The GT has the wide spoke rims and the stock rotors are always black or rusty.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:06 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coerver126 View Post
yeah
I am wondering about that, too. what is the solution here?
Hi, I am new to Forum also. Made a request for PT info yesterday.
I drove an '05 convertible turbo yesterday for the first time and liked it.
But, when I returned to the dealers lot with the salesman...I noticed the smell which seemed to be coming from the brakes.
Is this something inherent with the '05? Would sure like to know.

One other question, I found another '05 convertible turbo on Craigslist.. with about 30,000 miles...out of state for $10,000....is that a decent price to pay for an '05 convertible turbo, if it is in nice shape?
Thanks
Old 08 Mar 2010, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneman View Post
Hi, I am new to Forum also. Made a request for PT info yesterday.
I drove an '05 convertible turbo yesterday for the first time and liked it.
But, when I returned to the dealers lot with the salesman...I noticed the smell which seemed to be coming from the brakes.
Is this something inherent with the '05? Would sure like to know.

One other question, I found another '05 convertible turbo on Craigslist.. with about 30,000 miles...out of state for $10,000....is that a decent price to pay for an '05 convertible turbo, if it is in nice shape?
Thanks
Ignore that twit you quoted - SPAMMER

Sure the parking brake wasn't on?
The turbo Does generate lots of heat, so smells aren't uncommon.
GT or "turbo lite"? Sounds high if it's a turbo lite.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Mar 2010, 06:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Ignore that twit you quoted - SPAMMER

Sure the parking brake wasn't on?
The turbo Does generate lots of heat, so smells aren't uncommon.
GT or "turbo lite"? Sounds high if it's a turbo lite.
I talked to the owner today. It's a GT.
Thanks!
Old 18 Mar 2010, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I finally replace the passenger side caliper and low and behold, there is no longer a burning brake smell, and my gas mileage went up to over 25 on the highway! (was down around 19, now 25.15 and 25.65 last two fill ups). I will replace the drivers side next week and see if I can get the nice rotors and ceramic pads on at the same time. I'm happier with my GT again, maybe partly cause tomorrow will be top down weather here in NC!!!
Old 19 Mar 2010, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for getting back with resolution, and glad it worked out - caliper must've been hanging and not releasing - pads worn out?
I love the ceramic pads - last, good braking, and NO DUST!
Old 19 Mar 2010, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

The pads weren't really to bad, some wear, but after 10K miles and hanging I still have better than 75% left. But I am looking forward to low/no dust with the ceramics. And I'm glad there is no traction control or anti lock issue!
Old 04 Nov 2010, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, here I am 9 months later and finally ready to install new rotors and pads all around, sometimes life just gets in the way. Anyhow, I found a full brake kit, front and rear drilled, slotted, zinc plated rotors and ceramic pads for $193 with free shipping on eBay, couldn't pass it up. Should be here on Monday and planning to do it on Tueday/Wednesday. My one concern is the rears with the e-brake, is there a sticky or pic? I've looked but couldn't find one. Anything special I need to know? Any advice would be appreciated.