Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Talk me out of buying a 'vert...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2010, 03:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Talk me out of buying a 'vert...

As many of you know, my Cruiser has been sent to the Big Bone Yard in the Sky after it was hit by the semi recently. So of course, I am looking for a replacement.

I have it in my mind that I want a 'vert, but want to know if there is any reason I should reconsider based on experiences any of you have had with owning them.

So far, my thoughts are the need for extra care of the top. That's not a big deal to me as I have a bit of a detailing addicition, so I look at that as just one more thing for me to do to my car.

The only other issue I have thought of is some douche nozzle slicing the top. I figure that some jerk can just as easily bust a window or leave a grafitti tag on a hardtop though, so I am not going to make this much of an issue.

I've checked with my insurance company and the extra premium would only be around $20 a month (and that was for a full loaded GT Turbo, so I suspect lower end models would be even less) so I'm not worried about that either.

Is there a consideration I missed that might make me change my mind? The wife isn't hot on the verts, but has agreed that as long as I come home with another PT, she's ok with it.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Talk me out of buying a 'vert...

Where do you live? That's a big factor.
I shy away from verts because - top will eventually need replacing, I don't like idea that anyone with a knife can get in, there is less room/flexibility, verts weigh more and have more chassis flex.
But they are cool.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2010, 05:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have owned one and it was a blast, I say go for it. One more thing, I would look for a 5 speed because you can get a better gas mileage with it.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 05:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

I live in Texas. The weather here is 'vert friendly most of the year.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Decsar, I was looking at one on line that is almost identical to the one in your sig pic. It was by far the one I wanted the most but my bank requires the car I buy be under 60K miles in order to get the terms I want and this one had about 80K.

I loved the color and the interior was tan leather, but I just had to let it go because of the miles.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 05:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

I wouldn't worry about someone taking a knife to your roof because with insurance you get a new roof.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 05:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just keep looking and you will find just the right one for you.

Old 02 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decsr View Post
I wouldn't worry about someone taking a knife to your roof because with insurance you get a new roof.
That's kind of what I figured. Same as if they threw a brick through a window or something.

Quote:
Just keep looking and you will find just the right one for you.
I agree. What's meant to be will be. I have already found a few ads for cars (all PTs BTW) that are both convertable and fit my bank's lending guidelines. I just need to give the bank a few days to get the rest of the paperwork done on closing out the wrecked car and opening a new loan for me and then I can go shopping. I'm out of town on vacation right now, so none of it really matters, but when I get back getting this squared away is a top priority.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Go for it I'm in Micnigan and have had nothing by Verts the last 20 years and my 2005 PT is the best ever. I just don't lock it and I never have had any thing worth taking in it. I don't know why they put tops on cars.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 08:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'd say go for it, I have really enjoyed my 05 'vert. They are real fun cars and besides you don't see one at every stoplight.

Like the others have said, don't keep anything of value in it and don't lock the door. If the top does get slit or cut your insurance will pay for it.