PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trunk Release

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2010, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Trunk Release

Brakes lights are working fine....at least they are right now. I will have to keep an eye on them.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought my 05 PT Convertible in March and had the same issue - it turned out it was the wiring and they fixed that the broken wire and now all works! Fortunately it was still under the 30 day warranty.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This thread is pretty old but thought I'd share what I found on my '06 Vert that had the non-working FOB and glovebox trunk button hatch release. My 3rd brake light wasn't working as was mentioned in the thread. So I removed the light and applied 12 volts to it from a battery ( the gray wire is the + ) and it worked. I tested the plug with a 12v test light grounded to one of the two studs that hold the 3rd brake light on. The test light lit when the brakes were applied. So there was power to it but when I plugged the 3rd light back in, still not working. Then I tested the ground wire by running a wire from the stud into the socket which contained the ground wire. The brake light came on, and now the FOB and glove box switch both work. When pulling the rear cover off the hatch, there is a plug on the left side. The black wire is the ground. I stripped back a section of the black wire, soldered on a new black wire, and then drilled a small hole on the framework and attached the new black wire there, thereby supplying a new ground for the light and completing the circuit. This area is covered by the hatchcover. I applied some silicone seal around the new screw to prevent rust. If your PT is under warranty, by all means take it to the dealer to fix, but we only have the major component warranty, so this saved at least 100$ in dealer costs, probably more. If you'd like more detailed info on this, send me an email at musicman8120@gmail.com.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for this, but what if your 3rd Brake Light ALWAYS Works PERFECTLY like it should, BUT, you are having Issues with only your Button inside the Glove Box and Remote, because even though my Trunk always Opens by either the Glove Box Button or Remote, ever since last Summer, I have to Hit the Buttons a few times actually before the Trunk will let me Open it, now, sometimes, I do only have to Hit the Glove Box Button once or the Remote Button twice like normal and the Trunk will Pop and let me Open it, but most of the time, especially as of late, I have to Hit them several times, so I dunno what the Problem is, except that I haven't had to use my Key to Open my Trunk yet?

I should add that the Battery is going Bad in my Remote, in fact, I've been having trouble with sometimes Unlocking and Locking my Cruiser and the Dealer said all it is, is the Battery in my Remote going Dead, because it's never been changed yet, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Also, sometimes, even when I hear the Trunk Pop and then I go to Close one of my Doors, then the Trunk Locks again, unless I wait and leave the Door or Doors Open, so I dunno, this is a new one for me, lol!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Apr 2011, 07:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think the first thing I'd try would be a fresh battery in the remotes. I usually have to change mine maybe every two years in most cars I've had that had remote openers. The issue I found was pretty straightforward....your's is a lot crazier.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 04:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman8120 View Post
I think the first thing I'd try would be a fresh battery in the remotes. I usually have to change mine maybe every two years in most cars I've had that had remote openers. The issue I found was pretty straightforward....yours is a lot crazier.

Yeah, my 3rd Brake Light ALWAYS works PERFECTLY, in fact, when I had an Alignment done, they had the Brakes on for it the whole time and I watched and was Talking to a Guy about my Exhaust and how BRIGHT my Taillights are, especially my 3rd Brake Light, he even asked if it was LED or something, but no, mine is Stock and ALWAYS works, so I dunno?

Like I said, I have NEVER had to use my Key to Open my Trunk, but lately I do have to Hit the Buttons a few times on occasion to get it to Pop, so I dunno what to think and I've been Working on Cars for YEARS, so?
Old 23 Apr 2011, 04:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Trunk Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman8120 View Post
I think the first thing I'd try would be a fresh battery in the remotes. I usually have to change mine maybe every two years in most cars I've had that had remote openers. The issue I found was pretty straightforward....yours is a lot crazier.

I also noticed that you are in Ohio, Cleveland in fact and I wanted to say I Drive my Cruiser to Ohio A LOT actually for PT Cruiser Meets and Shows, it's where my PT Cruiser Club is Located, so, in fact, I am going back next Month for a BIG PT Cruiser Party my Club is having, but every time I go, I always Stay at the Motel 6 in Willoughby Ohio, which is in the Cleveland Area I'm told, not to mention, we do LOTS of Shows at the Boulevard of 500 Flags, so yeah, I know Ohio better then my own State of PA, lol!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 08:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 and the same thing has happened to mine. What is worse is that the key didn't work either! I didn't use the key until the FOB and glove compartment button quit working. I was able to wiggle the key and get it to work but you never know if it's going to work the next time. I am going to check that 3rd brake light today.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I realize most of these posts are a bit old, but I just bought my 2005 Convertible about nine months ago, and it had this problem when I bought it. Anybody, find that the third brake light worked and they had to replace the "trunk lock switch". How is this different from the actuator/solenoid from the 2003 and earlier models???

Thanks!!!
Old 21 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Convertible and am locked out of my trunk. Can anyone guide me in the best way to get it open so I can fix it? Should I drill the lock out? Is there a way to fold the rear seats down with the trunk locked? Maybe some way to access by removing the cowl behind the rear seat? Help! I need my trunk!