PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trunk Release

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2013, 01:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Trunk Release

Yeah,there's a BIG difference in a Vert .....More than likely something inside the latch mechanism(versus the cylinder)has broken off;Otherwise,the remote or the glove box release would open the trunk....Odds are: Even if you could get to the emergency release handle it still might not open......The way the back seats in a Vert are designed,you can't even get to the seat bolts for them or the rear bolster.......I'm NOT sure;But,there might be a way in by removing the entire top(when folded down)....But,that really sounds like a PITA if it's possible at ALL!(bolts are also in side the trunk)...My BEST advice is before attempting to drill anything yourself,call a locksmith,maybe just for an over-the-phone price quote ,The last thing I would do is go to the dealer.(only when ALL options are exhausted!)....And that's even after trying to drill it yourself;But,if it's the latch mechanism....Drilling the key cylinder probably won't help.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Trunk Release

Yup, I think a locksmith is the next thing to try. I'll let you know how that goes.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 05:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Trunk Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingv8 View Post
Yup, I think a locksmith is the next thing to try. I'll let you know how that goes.
Locksmiths normally have all kinds of reaching tools,grabbers,hooks,and of course 'slim jims'......They'd probably first try the thru the seat crack method using their tools to get at the emergency release handle,even before drilling......Call several in your area,tell them your problem,and go with the lowest price qoute.(Only after making a quick call to the BBB,just to check them out!never hurts)
Old 05 Sep 2013, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Had the Convertible out to the dealership yesterday for some service and I asked them to see if they can get the trunk open. They called and said they tried and even consulted with the body shop but there is no way to open the trunk! WTF??? I talked to a locksmith and he didn't have any ideas either. He said bring it by and he will see what he can do. This is getting ridiculous!
Old 05 Sep 2013, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Try putting something like this on the end of a pole and hooking it around the latch to release the trunk from between the seats.

Old 06 Sep 2013, 05:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Trunk Release

I can't see the picture. Can you e-mail it to me? don dot makowski at caplugs dot com.
Thanks! I appreciate any help I can get to solve this problem. Not having a trunk in a convertible is a real pain in the ass! All our shit keeps blowing out of the back seat!
Don
Old 06 Sep 2013, 08:02 am
Banned

Holy thread revival batman!
Old 06 Sep 2013, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Imagine going to Niagara Falls on a nice warm sunny Saturday afternoon with all the luggage in the back seat and then stopping at the outlet mall to shop and having to put all the bags and packages in the back seat and put the top up to drive to the motel. That sucked! Then driving home the next day with the top up because the back seat is packed. It's bullshit I tell ya! Bullshit!
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Email is sent with picture as attachment. Check spam/junk folder just in case.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Got it. Thanks!
Don