Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top Care Cleaning and Protecting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2010, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Top Care Cleaning and Protecting

I read the other thread on this and checked out Auto Geek detailing site.

Assuming I buy a PT Convertible have a few questions about the top

I have 303 Fabric Cleaner which is a concentrated version of the 303 Convertible fabric Cleaner this stuff (not pushing their product just link of what I have)
303 Fabric Cleaner removes stains and restores fabric to like-new condition. The 303 biodegradable formula removes oil, grease, dirt, coffee, tea,

And the Protectant

303 high tech fabric guard, 303 fabric guard

How often do you folks with the convertibles clean the top and re-apply the protectant ??

This car will be outside during the summer as wifes daily car but she is stuck parking a garage for her job so I suppose that will be better for the top since the car will be out of the sun during midday during the summer. Car will be put away under car cover for the winter and she can use her other PT for winter duty.

Also I assume one can use a std car soap to the wash the car and top.

Autogeek suggested after cleanign the top, rinse it off and let dry. Suggested blowing the water off or blotting it up with a microfiber and then allowing to totally dry before applying protectant.

They aslo said to vacuum it off prior to cleaning so the dust wont be washed into the top when you use a soft brush to lather up the cleaner.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Top Care Cleaning and Protecting

Best product bar none is Ragg Topp I hate buying products out of the USA and so did some checking arround.DeGreeves Auto Upholstery @ 6224-2 street SE Calgary sells it. Try it and you ll love it and so will your vert.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Top Care Cleaning and Protecting

RaggTopp!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 06 May 2010, 07:35 am
Senior Cruiser

I cleaned the top last week wiht the 303 top cleaner when I washed the car. I brought it in the garage and did a bunch of detailing, cleaning, polishing and changed plugs, wires, changed oil/filter, changed the fluid in the getrag, flushed the power steering fluid, bled all the calipers and celaned the underside and painted the floors/suspension and rust proofed.

SO the top was the last thing. I vacummed it and then misted about 12 ounces of the fabric guard on the top via 4 overlapping passes. I was careful to make sure I hit the edges and the stiching with a couple extra heavy passes. Also raised the top about a foot so I could spray the area behind the rear window which sits under the molding. with the top partially up, I put some gasket preservative on the windshield gasket. Then lowered it back down.

Then I wiped down the overspray with soap and water(actually used a small piece of card board and held up against the edeges to minimize), wiped all the gaskets down with Formula 303 preservative and windexed the windows.

Left it in the garage to dry. This morning it looked good. I turned on my dehumidifier in the garage just in case. Top felt dry to the touch but will have all day to complete. Will test mist with some water tonight.

Will get inspection sticker this afternoon and the wife can drive it tomorow.

Only thing I have left to do is put some chrome on it(have the door cups, front and rear trim for the headlights and tail lights,) front bug deflector, and mopar mudflaps.

Wish the original owner have put mud flaps on it. I had to hit the rockers with some compound and my medium cutting pad to clean them up after trying bug tar remover which didnt get much out of the paint.

Oh, watch the leading edge on the rocker panel seem. They wipe some seam seal on the underneath portion but just paint the seam where the two sections overlap. I am going to touch up the seam tonight.
Old 17 May 2010, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Top Care Cleaning and Protecting

Recently purchased a 2006 Touring Edition Convertible, Vanilla exterior, Tan Top and Tan Leather interior. Tan Convertible roof cover has black stains on both sides. Other than that it is good condition. Tried Ragg Top cleaner from auto geek, did not remove stains. Auto Geek suggested getting Roll A Way cleaner.

Anyone had success with any other cleaners ?
Old 18 May 2010, 12:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Im going to assume your talking about black marks on your "BOOT COVER" those will come off with a rag and a shot of WD--40 or any good vynile cleaner.
Old 18 May 2010, 06:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Try the 303 Fabric Cleaner, it is colloidal type cleaner, not a soap, works great on grease or stains.

The 303 Fabric protectant works awesome, water beads right off. I think once or twice a year I will treat the top to keep it in good shape.
Old 18 May 2010, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The black marks are on the convertible roof cover itself. I did not get a boot for it with the car. That will be another adventure. Can you advise where to get the 303 cleaner and protectant?
Old 19 May 2010, 07:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark929 View Post
Thanks for the info. The black marks are on the convertible roof cover itself. I did not get a boot for it with the car. That will be another adventure. Can you advise where to get the 303 cleaner and protectant?
Autogeek.net has all the wax, polish, detailing products and a good forum.

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

Convertible Top Care Products. 303 convertible top care and Wolfsteins Raggtopp Products

303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit, Fabric convertible top cleaner, fabric convertible top car, cloth convertible top care, canvas convertible top care
Old 27 May 2010, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Top Care Cleaning and Protecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark929 View Post
My tan rag top seems to be stained where the top folds; as if any dirt left on the top gets rubbed-in there when it folds. I simply used a mild soapy cleaner and a soft finger nail brush to rub a little deeper there.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!