Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Having a louder "Horn"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2010, 03:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Having a louder "Horn"

I searched under "Horns" but nothing helpful came up. Have there been a thread on this subject...that gives any suggestions for having a louder horn for aGT Vert '06?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Having a louder "Horn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneman View Post
I searched under "Horns" but nothing helpful came up. Have there been a thread on this subject...that gives any suggestions for having a louder horn for aGT Vert '06?
I know Chromenut has air horns because my son Jason set them off at last fall's Autofair. How 'bout it Robin?

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 19 Apr 2010, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wayneman,

In about 2003-2005, Chrysler did away with one of the two horns that the original PT's had. Not sure weather it was the high note or low note they did away with. This was all done for cost savings along with other things around the cruiser (vanity cover, hood alarm, passenger side door lock etc.). I believe I've read where all the wiring is still there (in the passenger wheel well) to hook up the horn that is missing so all you have to do is find out from the dealer which one is missing and add it to the horn that's already there.

See if you can find someone with an 01 or 02 cruiser and ask to hear their horn, if that don't slap you silly, they might let you hear it and see if that is loud enough for you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Having a louder "Horn"

I've got 2 (two) 2006 cruisers.
A standard Touring; and a turbo GT vert.
Both only came with one - the low tone horn. I added the high tone "Highway Blaster" from Autozone.
Now I have two normally, loud horns.
Did it myself!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I put in the OOHGAH antique type horn & it is great .... gets lots of attention...picked it up on Ebay ... so cheap that I bought 2 in case .
I put it it the space under the windsheild where the air intake screen is ... just under the wipers....

tpsfoto@gmail.com
2005 Plum Vert GT Turbo HO
Nav, Chrome 17" Wheels 5 Speed
K&N Typhoon Air Intake, AOOgah Horn, Freedom Design Strut Tower Brace
Some chrome here & there....

2009 PT bought with Cash For Clunkers.....sold it for a
2014 Juke
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

I installed a horn from a circa 1989 junkyard Mercedes Benz. It's added to my OEM low tone on my 2004, and is now louder and sounds unusual as well. Not a `vert, but the concept is the same.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneman View Post
I went with the ooogah horn installed behind the right front fender right where the original horn used to be. It definitely gets noticed, loud and distinctive.
Old 03 Jul 2010, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Are these old "Claxson"( AH OHGA ) horns at any parts house?
Is Your Vet Listed?
Old 03 Jul 2010, 08:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can pick one up at almost any auto parts stores. Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Discount Auto and even on line at JC Whitney.

If you have an aftermarket air filter (some of them) there's plenty of space under the filter and behind the battery for an Ahooga Horn. Others have put in vertically by the computer, in the wheel well where the OEM horn is and even in the front in front of the radiator is space to hook one up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2010, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I just put in an Aoogah horn in my son-in-law's GT - he is stock, so the air intake blocked putting it where mine is...
Put it under the wiper cowl on the driver's side - have to take passenger side plastic off as well and I couldn't get the wiper off, but found I could lift up enough for access...
I cut up some high-density foam and used that to wedge the horn in place.
Put push-button in a hole I made behind the ignition switch in the steering column.
Put the relay next to the horn in foam.
Got inline fuse, push button, and relay from Radio Shack. Went thru rubber around the hood release cable to run wires for button switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles