Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Battlecruiser For the Fleet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default New Battlecruiser For the Fleet

Well after looking for a few weeks, found a 06 PT GT Convertible.

Had to drive 225 miles to check it out a couple weeks ago. Decided to buy on the spot. Had looked at the carfax prior and had a pal check the Vin in the Chrysler system.

The person who owned it took good care of it and had all the receipts. Was spotless inside and out save a small boo boo on the rear bumper cover which I think I can fix. Anyhow got it for about 2 grand below the private party value according to KBB and Emdunds, Car has 41K on it and the guy had put new tires and a windsheild in it Used Mobil 1 and had the wires, PCV and TB cleaned. So I guess he at least did some maitnenance unlike many of the others we looked at.

It is cool vanilla, with gray leather, black top and 5 speed and has the High end radio and the 17" chrome wheels with the 15 spoke. Looks a PITA to clean the wheels, will have to get a set of Kleen wheels insert for them.

A couple things:

1) can you do the key dance to get fault codes on the 06? I tried and couldnt get it to work??

2) what is the deal with the rear seats? I thought they fold and tumbled in behind the front seats but they only seem to pivot up and you have the stupid buckles which restrict the motion. I was hoping they would fold down into the foot well behind the front seats so you could have some more room behind them. I want to bring my dog on rides and thought he could lay down behind the folded/tumbled rear seats. So I may just yank em out and make something to cover the exposed area under the upper bolster.

Anyone on here removed them?

I havent registered it yet so after I clean it up, prep the underside and rust proof it and change all the fluids the wifey can have her convertible.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New Battlecruiser For the Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Well after looking for a few weeks, found a 06 PT GT Convertible.

Had to drive 225 miles to check it out a couple weeks ago. Decided to buy on the spot. Had looked at the carfax prior and had a pal check the Vin in the Chrysler system.

The person who owned it took good care of it and had all the receipts. Was spotless inside and out save a small boo boo on the rear bumper cover which I think I can fix. Anyhow got it for about 2 grand below the private party value according to KBB and Emdunds, Car has 41K on it and the guy had put new tires and a windsheild in it Used Mobil 1 and had the wires, PCV and TB cleaned. So I guess he at least did some maitnenance unlike many of the others we looked at.

It is cool vanilla, with gray leather, black top and 5 speed and has the High end radio and the 17" chrome wheels with the 15 spoke. Looks a PITA to clean the wheels, will have to get a set of Kleen wheels insert for them.

A couple things:

1) can you do the key dance to get fault codes on the 06? I tried and couldnt get it to work??

2) what is the deal with the rear seats? I thought they fold and tumbled in behind the front seats but they only seem to pivot up and you have the stupid buckles which restrict the motion. I was hoping they would fold down into the foot well behind the front seats so you could have some more room behind them. I want to bring my dog on rides and thought he could lay down behind the folded/tumbled rear seats. So I may just yank em out and make something to cover the exposed area under the upper bolster.

Anyone on here removed them?

I havent registered it yet so after I clean it up, prep the underside and rust proof it and change all the fluids the wifey can have her convertible.

Sounds like a beauty you should post a picture. Don't know about the seats in the convertible.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

here is one, we played with the top and boot this afternoon in between working on her 03 GT.

I only took a quick picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06 PT GT.JPG (24.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 25 Apr 2010, 10:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Well after looking for a few weeks, found a 06 PT GT Convertible....<snip> ... and the 17" chrome wheels with the 15 spoke. Looks a PITA to clean the wheels, will have to get a set of Kleen wheels insert for them.
VNT, I have been lusting over those wheels since the 1st time I saw them. I mentioned this to a PT owner at Autofair and he said I could buy his at a really fair price, including a new set of Maxxis Tires.

I was mulling it over when I saw a couple cars back to back with those wheels and boy were they nasty. I'll stay with my 9 spoke 16" wheels.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 26 Apr 2010, 05:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Buy a set of these and paint em up Inferno Red to match your car. I have em on my 00 Durango, 02 Grand Cherokee and 03 GT. I will be buying a set for this one, will probably leave em black. It eliminates the brake dust and saves the rims.

Kleen Wheels are dust shields which protect your wheels from brake dust
Old 26 Apr 2010, 05:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Nice find! GT, convertible and manual. Perfect combination. Good luck with her.
I don't know about those kleen wheel things. It makes the car look like it has drum brakes. I just keep my wheels waxed so the brake dust and dirt washes right off.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you replace the brake pads with ceramic pads you will get very little dust.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser

VNT, Congrats on the ride. Sounds pretty sweet!

As for the wheels, they really aren't too hard to clean. I've got similar wheels on my '06 LE.

There are several products out there that will do a great job on the wheels. I'm partial to Meguiar's as their products are pretty easy to use and I have never had a problem with any of them. Many of their wheel cleaners can be found at your local auto parts store, Wal Mart or Target.

A good wheel cleaner, a spoke brush and a taking the time to clean the wheels on the regular will keep them looking great. The first couple times you clean them will be a bit of PITA depending on how dirty they are to start. You'll also have a small learning curve on how much product to use and how long to let it dwell, but once that's done it's cake if you keep them up.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 11:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the very exclusive PT Ragtop Owner's Club !

Sounds like you did well.
Old 16 May 2010, 08:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Finally took for a nice ride today. Was about 70 degree out and sunny.
Last week I installed/painted the rear sway bar, changed the coolant, installed the rear mopar molded mud flaps, installed the front mud flaps and the hood deflector.

Took out the rear seats so the dog (Turbo) can enjoy the car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06GT Rearqtr.jpg (95.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 06GTFront.JPG (25.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 06topdpwn.jpg (97.2 KB, 33 views)