PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I have several questions in deciding to purchase a GT Convertible. PLEASE HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2010, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I have several questions in deciding to purchase a GT Convertible. PLEASE HELP!

I'm looking at a 05 GT with 41,000 miles for $10,500. My questions are:

1-I live in NYC, brooklyn to be exact. Is it nonsensical to own a rag top in this city? Can anyone from NYC who owns one give any details about the pros and cons? And what I can viably expect regarding vandalism or theft?

2-I'm nervous about the milage and no warranty, does Chrysler offer a warranty that I can purchase and use at any location?

3-When I check out the car, with the milage that it has, what are some of the expected wear and tears that I should look for before deciding to visit a local mechanic shop for a thorough overview?

4-what are the best audio/navigation upgrade options on the car that keeps it looking as original as possible? Can I add a current PT top line audio system to an 05?
Old 29 May 2010, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have several questions in deciding to purchase a GT Convertible. PLEASE HELP!

1. I'd check with insurance companies and the local police to find out about ragtop vandalism and break-ins. Look around and ask other owners of verts and their experience.

2. The only warranty we recommend is one from Chrysler. Ask the dealer what they are offering, but if your buying the car from a private seller, be very careful of the coverage they are offering.

3. Make sure the radiator fan is working, check over the front suspension including the front wheel bearings. Make sure all the lights are working. Check the condition of the coolant and transaxle fluid. Take it for a long drive and go through as many different conditions (hills, fast stops and starts etc.) that you can.

4. Audio systems are subjective. I think mine (original with 3-ban equalizer and 6 speakers) is great. I did add a subwoofer for more base.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 May 2010, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have several questions in deciding to purchase a GT Convertible. PLEASE HELP!

To my knowledge, all warranties have a start date of when the car was placed in service. So if you buy a 5 year warranty it will be backdated to xx 2005. If you purchase a Chrysler warranty, go on line and you will get many different prices for the same coverage. As long as it is a Chrysler warranty it will cover the same items. Let us know how you make out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 May 2010, 08:55 am
Cool Cruiser

40K miles on an '05 is actually very good. It comes in below the 12-15K per year that is considered "normal" driving.

Drive it and see how it looks and feels. Make sure to put the top down while the lights and radio are all on. We test drove a GT' vert a few months ago and discovered it had an electrical problem that way. The lights started to blink off and on and the top went down way too slow. Saved us from making a big mistake.

Don't forget to check what you might normally consider to be small things like the windshield wipers. The main worry there is that move like they're supposed. If the blades need replacing, that's a not a deal breaker. Around the same time we tested the GT, we also drove a Touring whose wipers didn't work because of a problem in the fuse panel. Another big mistake avoided.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you
Old 29 May 2010, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would be buying from a dealer, but it's nearly a hundred miles from my home so that dealers warranty wouldn't work out for me since it's too far to service.

I'll check out Chryslers website and see what they offer on their used cars.
Old 01 Jun 2010, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: I have several questions in deciding to purchase a GT Convertible. PLEASE HELP!

If it's in the city, and not garaged....I'd say "don't do it Ethel"!
But, if you do, don't put anything expensive inside like an expensive stereo or subs!
They'll be gone! It's just tooooo easy.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 01 Jun 2010, 10:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
If it's in the city, and not garaged....I'd say "don't do it Ethel"!
But, if you do, don't put anything expensive inside like an expensive stereo or subs!
They'll be gone! It's just tooooo easy.
I agree with Sooner. Do not leave anything in the car of value and do not lock the doors. I've been through 6 verts and never had the top cut or anything stolen.

I know that Chrysler will sell you a warranty if the car is under 4 years old (by delivery date) and under 44,000 miles.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 02 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobywong View Post
I'm looking at a 05 GT with 41,000 miles for $10,500. My questions are:

1-I live in NYC, brooklyn to be exact. Is it nonsensical to own a rag top in this city?
I can't answer that because I live in the heart of the Canadian Prairies

Quote:
2-I'm nervous about the milage and no warranty, does Chrysler offer a warranty that I can purchase and use at any location?
My '05 Convertible has only 18,000 kms or 10,800 miles on it but I only drive it from April to October. The rest of the time it is garaged. Actually 40K is actually a low mileage for a 5 year old vehicle.

Quote:
3-When I check out the car, with the milage that it has, what are some of the expected wear and tears that I should look for before deciding to visit a local mechanic shop for a thorough overview?
I'm not entirely sure, you have already received so good input from others.

Quote:
4-what are the best audio/navigation upgrade options on the car that keeps it looking as original as possible? Can I add a current PT top line audio system to an 05?
The sky is the limit when it comes to this. Personally when it comes to this I wouldn't buy a Nav symstem integrated with a stereo. I use my trusty Garmin GPS which I can easily load any updates to the software or the maps. YMMV

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 02 Jun 2010, 12:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

It sounds like a good buy, assuming the interior, exterior paint and top are all in good condition. If it has been regularly serviced there should be very little wrong with the car. At 41K it may be be experiencing some rough idle, this can be quite easily fixed by replacing the plugs and the original plug wires. This is very common issue as the factory MOPAR wires are junk.

Like the rest of the guys, be sure an check it out from stem to stern.