Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Raggtopp vs 303

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Raggtopp vs 303

Not a scientific study, but from recent personal experience, I think 303 stinks. I followed instructions meticulously, even used their cleaner first. Then, about 2 weeks later, we had our first rain and my top totally soaked it up! It didn't repel a single drop. After the second rain did the same thing, I went online and bought Raggtopp. I applied it tonight, and we'll see how well it does. I don't expect it to repel every drop, but at least some of them!

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Raggtopp vs 303

In 303 defense, however, it did a nice job on my Buick PA, which has a partial vinyl top. And it did a nice job on the rubber on the PA and the PT. But they advertise 303 as for fabric and vinyl, and I beg to differ.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 05 Oct 2010, 09:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I used 303 on the canvas on my popup camper and it worked great.
Old 06 Oct 2010, 09:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Raggtopp vs 303

Hey their vtmdsm27,

303 works well in a good deal of applications though in your case Raggtop would be a better chemical of choice. Raggtop is much better suited to work with the polyacrylic/polyester canvas material used in the top on the PT, and was the only cleaner endorsed by the Heart's Corporation who supplied all OEM tops to Daimler Chrysler throughout production. Just for reference, here is an older write up I did a while back on cleaning and treating Convertible Tops from my Detailing Guide. Its pretty basic stuff, but hopefully it might have some useful tips or info for you somewhere in their.

The PT soft tops are made of polyacrylic/polyester canvas. This type of material will stain over time, and can become deteriorated at an accelerated rate if it is not cared for. Before we begin, here are a couple of things to remember. Do not use harsh all purpose cleaner to clean your top. It can stain the material, and like leather, can also pull some of the color off of the material. Do not use powder chemicals like A-Jax to clean your top. This will act like sand paper, and can destroy the top in no time at all! With this said, lets do some cleaning!

I recommend you clean your top at least once a month, or more if it is dusty. Do not use "car wash soap" to clean your top. The oils, and gloss enhancing minerals will make your top a virtual dust magnet. . I recommend using Wolfstien's Raggtop Cleaner.It is the only cleaner endorsed by the Heart's Corporation that supplies the tops to Daimler Chrysler. Fill a bucket with water, and approximately 2 ounces of soap. Do not use a cloth, or chennile wash mitt as they will leave lint. Instead, if your top has a lot of bird droppings, or other related staining, use a soft bristle brush to agitate the surface. A good rule of thumb is if you can rub the brush across the back of your hand without scratching the skin, then it is safe to use on your top. After washing, follow up with a thorough rinse with clean cool water. To dry, use a clean microfiber towel, or synthetic chamois. Rather than wiping the water off, blot the water up with the rag or chamois. Do not use terry cloth, or a diaper as they will leave lint.

Sooner, or later you will run across a stain that won't come out. Weather it is bird droppings, or tree sap, or some other related type of contaminant, the first natural thing to do is to scrub it till it comes out. This will only spread the material around, and will create an even bigger mess. Instead, keep a spray bottle with some of the Raggtop Cleaner used full strength.. Spray the spot, and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not let it dry, as it will leave a stain. Follow by a thorough rinse with clean cool water, and then proceed to wash the entire top as outlined above.

Now that your top is clean, lets move on to protection. I am also going to recommend using Wolfstein's Raggtop Protectant for this process. It is not expensive, and is the only protectant endorsed by Heart's Corporation. This material is a spray, like scotchgaurd, and it will leave a messy film on your paint, that is difficult to clean up, so I recommend taking a few minutes to mask off your paint, and windows prior to using this product. Simply use cheep masking tape, and some old newspaper. Mask around the bottom of your paint as to not get overspray on the paint. Then lift the front of the top slightly and place newspaper between the top, and the windshield. Repeat with the side windows to finish the masking process.

Shake up the can of protectant for approximately 30 - 60 seconds before use. Start in the middle of the top on one side, holding the can between 7" - 9" from the surface, work toward the body line in smooth back, and forth sprays, releasing your finger at the end of each pass. Proceed until the top is completely covered. I recommend you follow up with a second coat of protection, and a third coat on the surface around all seams. Allow the protectant to set up for approximately 30 minutes, and you are good to go.

Remove the masking material, and check for overspray on your paint, and windows. If any overspray present, a little wax on a clean microfiber towel should remove it easily.

That's my two cents anyways for what its worth. As always, if you ever have anymore questions on this or anything else please let me know and I would be more than happy to try to help out wherever I can.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 06 Oct 2010, 07:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

I used their Fabric cleaner and Fabric guard and the water beads up like nobodys business and it is going on 4 months??

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 06 Oct 2010, 09:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Maybe it was too hot when I applied, and it dried too fast. But it was worthless for the fabric, great for the vinyl.

2008 Turbo Vert

Old 06 Oct 2010, 09:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've heard our convertible tops are very high end. True?

2008 Turbo Vert

Old 07 Oct 2010, 08:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes, I think Mercedes uses the same supplier, farbic is twilfast II

BTw did you use the Fabric guard? 303 has two types of protectants, one for the vynil tops and the other for fabric?

I also use the 303 Fabric guard on my car covers to water proof them and it works awesome.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 13 Oct 2010, 09:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Don't know. Ordered kit. Threw away bottle.

It finally rained here today. The Raggtopp treated top beaded up beautifully in a soaking storm. Gonna order another can so I can treat in a couple of months. Gotta find someplace inside to warm up PT enough to apply.

2008 Turbo Vert

Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Found 303 just marginal but did try a brand I used on my boat bimini top and it works great ....Mary-Kates is what I think it's called anyway that's my two cents.