Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advice desperately needed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Advice desperately needed...

I apologize for posting the message again but it's a different topic & I realize that I should have created a new thread.

I really need advice from you experienced PT owners...

The 2008 convertible I'm interested in purchasing seems near flawless inside, outside, mechanically & it has low miles.

I checked the Carfax & it has two previous owners: an unknown rental company for the first 17,422 miles & a private owner for the last 6,375 miles. Yes, a rental company!

I called the local Chrysler dealership & I was informed that the warranty expires Nov. 12, 2010. I read that the 2008 PT's had an unlimited powertrain warranty, but the dealership confirmed that it expires on the same date.

I'm seriously concerned about the fact that it was a rental. What would you do? What should I do? Move forward with the purchase or keep looking?

Here's the link to the Carfax report:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...=DLR_3&zipCode

Once again, I'm truly appreciative of your valuable input!

EDIT: Is it possible that it was a lease vehicle? Does a lease show as a rental on a Carfax report?

Last edited by athelite; 20 Oct 2010 at 10:23 pm.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Advice desperately needed...

There are owner here that purchased a previous rental PT and are very happy.

Let me first start out by saying, Don't Trust the CARFAX report as yor only means of thinking the car is clean. We just went through this on another thread. Not everything is reported to CARFAX. Read this:

Help With A Few Things

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Let me first start out by saying, Don't Trust the CARFAX report as yor only means of thinking the car is clean. We just went through this on another thread. Not everything is reported to CARFAX. Read this:
Help With A Few Things
How would you proceed if you were interested in buying this car?
Or would you?

EDIT: After it was a rental, the Carfax states the following: 04/23/2009 19,260 Chrysler Certified Dealer, Yakima, WA Offered for sale as a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle.
Wouldn't they have physically verified it wasn't wrecked for it to qualify as Certified Pre-Owned?

Last edited by athelite; 20 Oct 2010 at 10:54 pm.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That depends on their definition of "Certified Pre-Owned".

In your case, if you have a trusted mechanic, take it to him and even if you have to pay, have him thoroughly go over the car top to bottom.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 05:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

If your friendly with a mopar service manager ask them to check it out. Also ask them to run the VIn and give you a print out of any work logged into their Dealer Connect system. Will show all warranty and any other work done to the car by a Mopar dealer.

Now that said, test drive it and take a peak under the oil fill cap. If it is nice and shiney and clean(will see a baffle) then the oil has probably been changed which is the only issue of neglect in 25 k miles. On the other hand if it is yellow /golden varnish or worse dark sludge, then pass and keep on looking.

Also do the key dance and check for codes.

If the car is clean and been maintained then you wont probably have any issues. If you buy it you can always change the coolant, trans fluid, clean the Throttle body, throw a set of new wires and plugs and freshen up the power steering fluid and you should be good to go.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 21 Oct 2010, 09:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought mine from the Chrysler Dealer; the Brand Spankin Used Certified Vehicle program is worth shit; don't assume that everything (or really anything) is inspected and/or repaired as needed.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 09:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Advice desperately needed...

Have you done any comparison shopping??
The 2008 will probably not be a GT. What the price???
How about comparing to this....this one only has 25K, and has a 7 year/70K warranty....
2006 GT Convertible w/ Mods

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Bought a used 09 Touring from the local dealer and after running the Carfax we discovered it was a rental. The car is in great condition, clean, and well equipped for a rental. I can't see that it was abused in any way and runs and handles fine. It's made several trips to Dallas and OKC and is a pleasure to drive. I do my own maintenance and checked everything out and found nothing wrong. So far we are not disappointed with the purchase.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:26 am
Regular Cruiser

My PT started life as a rental unit, I have 57K miles on it now. It had 43K on it when I bought it. I have replaced the battery, the other times it went to the shop were for an alignment, tranny fluid change and regular oil changes. I've had no major problems with mine.

It still has the original brake linings.

IMHO PT's are good cars.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mine was a rental too. 22K miles. I have about 44K now with zero problems , except for battery cable (warranty) and plugs/wires (personal preference ). Otherwise, very happy!

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790