Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Iphone question for convertible use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2010, 10:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Iphone question for convertible use

First if this is the wrong section.....my apologies. I love my convertible. Normally if its above 65 degrees, the top is down. I need a new cell phone. My son is trying to convince me that the new iphone 4 with its noise canceling microphone will allow me to be understood while driving at 60 or so with the top down.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 20 Dec 2010, 11:04 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Iphone question for convertible use

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBorg View Post
First if this is the wrong section.....my apologies. I love my convertible. Normally if its above 65 degrees, the top is down. I need a new cell phone. My son is trying to convince me that the new iphone 4 with its noise canceling microphone will allow me to be understood while driving at 60 or so with the top down.

Thanks,

Mike
Doubt it. Almost nothing cancels noise at 60mph with the top down.

Plus, if you got an iPhone, you'd be stuck with an overpriced underperforming POS.

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm a complete techno geek and pretty much have to keep up with all the latest trends in the telecom industry (I work for Ericsson and build 3g/4g networks across the eastern seaboard) so I have tested quite a few.

As to the phone itself, I've not had a single phone work well in my convertible. But I'm dead against people holding a phone while driving, especially since headsets are so damned cheap. Now, on hands-free, that's a different item all together.

I have to stay legal within the states that my markets cover so basically almost everything east of the Mississippi. So that means no driving with the phone in my hand as that's outlawed in most of those states. Even some companies are now passing policies against using cellular telephones in a vehicle, so I have to be aware of the various functionalities available to the common market.

Right now, I've been using one of the best hands-free units that I've ever had, up until it broke that is....lol... the Plantronics Voyager Pro. See the review here.

I drove around with that thing in my ear for almost a year before it broke. The only weak spot, and only critique, I have of this incredibly complex yet inexpensive headset is the verticle rubber piece that joins the boom to the over-ear piece where the volume control is. That rubber broke on me, and likely from too much exposure to sun and sweat. Yes, drove all over Florida with that thing tucked behind my ear and the sun just ate it up.

However, it had the best audio quality of any of the headsets I've used in years. I've always had problems hearing on my end, meaning always had to turn the volume up full-blast to hear the other person. With this unit, I couldn't stand it up full volume!

Now I'm testing the Jawbone2. I've had two previous versions and absolutely hated them. An expensive POS, that was my entire review of the before now. The new one I have is quite gorgeous, much nicer looking than it's predecessors, the new one, the Aliph Jawbone 2, also fits my ear much better than the previous models. I have a big head, but have always had a problem getting the in-ear pieces to fit comfortably. That was one thing I truly liked about the Plantronics, it fit me perfect right out of the box.

So, I just got this Aliph JB2, and since it cost me nothing I can't complain. The first thing I usually do with any techno stuff is hit up cnet reviews, and here's what caught my eye, see if it catches your's:

Code:
The good: The Aliph Jawbone 2 is a fashionable Bluetooth
headset with a comfortable fit and an array of noise-
canceling and voice-enhancement technologies that result
in amazing sound quality.

The bad: The Aliph Jawbone 2 doesn't have a volume
rocker, and the LED light is located directly on top of the
Talk button.

The bottom line: Despite its quirks, the Aliph Jawbone 2 is
quite possibly the ultimate Bluetooth headset in terms of
design and sound quality.

Review: When Aliph released the first Jawbone Bluetooth
headset two years ago, it became CNET's highest rated
Bluetooth headset because of its amazing sound quality
and eye-catching design. Many of our readers agreed with
our assessment, but there were two big complaints
against it: it is bulkier than most headsets out there, and
it has an unusual ear hook that made the Jawbone difficult
to position correctly. Well, Aliph has listened, because the
new Aliph Jawbone 2 has laid those negatives to rest.
CNet has pretty much the same reviews as I do on most items so we agree a lot, so I figure this headset is going to work well. Wind noise is always the monster to conquer in a vert, the Plantronics did that well, now I'm trying this new one. We'll see, but for my money this one looks great.

Also, you can buy this JB2 on sales all over the place for under $50!!
Old 01 Jan 2011, 11:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used mine with top down with the original iPhone mic/headset. I just roll up the windows while talking. Eastbound and down

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 02 Jan 2011, 12:28 am
Young Cruiser

We Installed this wind deflecter in our 06 Conv, It helps quite a bit with lowering the wind noise and wind blow back. With the windows up, you almost think that you've put the top up.

J

PT Cruiser wind deflector PT Cruiser windscreen PT Cruiser windstop wind blocker
Old 07 Jan 2011, 12:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakenItEasy View Post
We Installed this wind deflecter in our 06 Conv, It helps quite a bit with lowering the wind noise and wind blow back. With the windows up, you almost think that you've put the top up.

J

PT Cruiser wind deflector PT Cruiser windscreen PT Cruiser windstop wind blocker
You talking about the screen thing that goes up behind the front seats?

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

Old 07 Jan 2011, 01:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterFlash View Post
You talking about the screen thing that goes up behind the front seats?
Yes.

J
Old 07 Jan 2011, 02:15 pm
Young Cruiser

The problem with that is it hinders the use of the back seat which is a main reason we bought the PT.

Mike
Old 10 Jan 2011, 11:34 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBorg View Post
The problem with that is it hinders the use of the back seat which is a main reason we bought the PT.

Mike
We bought our for the same reason. But removal and re-installation looks fairly easy and quick whenever the back seat is needed.

I just wish they weren't $300 with shipping...