Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door window sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2010, 11:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Door window sticking

I just finished doing a bunch of work to my winter car and now am about to jump on and clean up the 06 GT convertible and throw it under a car cover for the winter.

I washed it last week and brought it in the garage last night and will polish and wax it up and do a few other things to it this week. Then I have to clean up my Durango.

Now the problem. The window on the doors on the convertibles drop about a 1/4 inch when you open the door to get the glass out of the channel in the top. I went to open the door last night and it stuck, Obviously it was frozen. I did get the door open and then tried to lower the glass via the window switch but it wouldnt release. So I pulled it into the garage and this morning tried it, when I opened the it operated normally.

So what do people do to prevent this problem. I am going to use some protectant on the channels in the rubber in the A-pillar and will rain x the glass so it wont be prone to stick.

Does anyone spray anything in the fabric channel in the top where the glass sits in when closed? I use Formula 303 fabric protectant on the top and it beads water real nice but didnt spray it inside the channel.

I can see this would be a major PITA if you drive your ragtop in the winter as a every day driver.

How many folks here drive theirs in the winter and do you have this problem with the window sticking when you ope or close the door after a good freeze.

On anothe forum the recommend this stuff to treat the rubber gaskets,
GummiFledge

BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 30 Nov 2010, 11:47 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Door window sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
I just finished doing a bunch of work to my winter car and now am about to jump on and clean up the 06 GT convertible and throw it under a car cover for the winter.

I washed it last week and brought it in the garage last night and will polish and wax it up and do a few other things to it this week. Then I have to clean up my Durango.

Now the problem. The window on the doors on the convertibles drop about a 1/4 inch when you open the door to get the glass out of the channel in the top. I went to open the door last night and it stuck, Obviously it was frozen. I did get the door open and then tried to lower the glass via the window switch but it wouldnt release. So I pulled it into the garage and this morning tried it, when I opened the it operated normally.

So what do people do to prevent this problem. I am going to use some protectant on the channels in the rubber in the A-pillar and will rain x the glass so it wont be prone to stick.

Does anyone spray anything in the fabric channel in the top where the glass sits in when closed? I use Formula 303 fabric protectant on the top and it beads water real nice but didnt spray it inside the channel.

I can see this would be a major PITA if you drive your ragtop in the winter as a every day driver.

How many folks here drive theirs in the winter and do you have this problem with the window sticking when you ope or close the door after a good freeze.

On anothe forum the recommend this stuff to treat the rubber gaskets,
GummiFledge

BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport
Actually, we ran into that same basic problem this past summer when it was 90 degrees outside, so I'm not certain it's the cold that did it to you.

Happened twice, about a month apart, exactly as you described. And as soon as I shut off the ignition and turned it back on, it worked fine, just as yours did. Hasn't happened in at least 3 months though.

My guess is it's a control switch problem. Whatever controls the 1/4" drop is brain farting till it gets reset by the ignition. If you're really concerned, I'd see a dealer...

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.

Last edited by QuarterFlash; 30 Nov 2010 at 11:50 am.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 11:52 am
Young Cruiser

By the way, we own the same set of cars. '05 Cruiser Convertible Dreamcruiser and '02 Durango 5.9 R/T.

How about you?

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 12:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

QF

It was definately frozen, I tried the power down switch on the center stack and the other window, neither would go down.

Per my cars see attached. The 06 is a GT 5 speed and the Durango has the 5.9 with the NV242 and has all the nice features in the SLT+.

I drive a Shadow for my everyday driver, up to 276K miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpics06GT 018.jpg (23.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MightyD00durangores.jpg (66.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0052[1].JPG (30.3 KB, 7 views)

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 01 Dec 2010, 04:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Be thankful you have a garage!

Two options; invest in a remote starter. Keeping the heater on when remote starting the car will unfreeze the windows (of course, not recommended if parked in the garage).

Keep a credit card handy; simple jam it in between the door and the window and run it the length of the window.
Old 01 Dec 2010, 05:32 am
Cool Cruiser

i may not own a convert PT but since i live in alaska my windows freeze alot, i simbly scrape any ice from the rubber parts, somtimes pushing gently on the window will unstick them, heating the car works too, only problem i have when the windows dont roll down is at the drive throu's
Old 01 Dec 2010, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Use silicone spray - it repels water and dries clear. I used it for a sticking/squeaking window, not freezing, but it worked fine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles