Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 convertible problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2011, 12:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 convertible problem

Are there any adjustments for the convertible top? When I put the top down it doesn't seem to go all the way down. It looks as if one of the roof bars isn't positioning correctly ?
Old 18 Mar 2011, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 convertible problem

See if this helps:

Top does not go all the way down

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1327 View Post
Are there any adjustments for the convertible top? When I put the top down it doesn't seem to go all the way down. It looks as if one of the roof bars isn't positioning correctly ?
I don't know if there are adjustments, but I do know that I've had problems with my roof lowering properly. With it about 70% open, you need to look in and around where the top stores and make sure there is nothing there blocking it.

Also, the roof tends to touch against the back trim piece that sits over the top of the trunk. There is a piece with four screws that, on my PT, got hooked to the top somehow and when closing the top I ripped that trim piece right off. $158 from the dealership so I'm riding without it, which is a minor risk.

Anyway, here's a list of things to look at when troubleshooting this issue:
  • When opening the top, look at each fold point of the metal frame to insure there is nothing there that would be keeping the frame from folding in on itself properly.
  • With top about 70% open, go to the back area and look around the rear window and storage place where the top folds up, make sure there is nothing in there.
  • Take some cheap white chalk and rub it on the trim piece over the trunk, along with the four screws that hold it in. Lower the top as far as it will go, then raise the top again. See if you have chalk on your top showing where it may be hitting.
  • Verify that your rear windows are all the way down before lowering the top, it could be the auto-circuit controlling the window lowering that is bad.

Now I just looked in the service manual and there is an entire section dedicated to diagnosing problems with the top in the verts. If you have a service manual you might want to check that out, it's got too much info in it for me to go into details here. If you don't have a service manual, PM me as I have them in PDF format.

I'd go out and check other items on my top as hints but my poor baby is still in the shop from my wreck.
Old 07 Nov 2013, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 convertible problem

Hi I just got a 2007 PT Cruiser and the to dose hit the back molding. If you could send me the PDF File to scott@ecrcpc.com it would be appreciated thank you
Old 12 Nov 2013, 09:35 am
Regular Cruiser

I would be interested in the service info pertaining to the convertible if you are sending it out

Last edited by nomad327; 02 Dec 2013 at 06:49 pm.
Old 01 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guys, no offense but please remove your email addy's from the posts - they are publicly displayed and they can be taken and used and that's not good. I emailed you both info and it's okay if you PM someone, but I don't suggest posting your email address publicly, just puts it at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad327 View Post
I would be interested in the service info pertaining to the convertible if you are sending it out.
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweglas View Post
Hi I just got a 2007 PT Cruiser and the to dose hit the back molding. If you could send me the PDF File to it would be appreciated thank you
Anyone else interested, PM me!
Old 21 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to manakorin Send a message via Skype™ to manakorin

Seems like a mechanical problem. Did you manage to fix it yet?