PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driving Convertibles In Winter

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2011, 07:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Driving Convertibles In Winter

I am just curious how many people here drive their convertibles in the winter, especially in snowy states where you have to park outside.

Any issues? I am looking at another convertible but this one will become my commuter car and will be used in the winter. I think the only negative will be the windows possibly freezing in the channels. I guess I will silicon the heck out of the gaskets to prevent this.

I assume the triple layer tops arent bad and keep the heat in. Also since you have a real glass rear window with defogger that wont be a issue either.

So anyone who drives one in snow country have any regrets?

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Driving Convertibles In Winter

Until last year I drove my markets in my PT. Now I don't travel anymore, but when I did I had to visit my offices in Chicago, New Jersey, Atlanta, Orlando, Richmond, and a few other off the wall locations. I traveled year-round regardless of weather. One of the reasons for getting the PT was the long survivability of them, the crash-worthiness (which now I've proven, sadly), and they do get around in foul weather quite well.

I've spent winter in Chicago and New Jersey, and Indiana come to think of it, and other than my PT being lowered never had a problem. But then, my wife calls me 'Safety Man", so as long as you are careful, you're good to go.

I very frequently check tire pressure and wear, and I stay on top of my maintenance schedule.

Now, the one thing you would want to have with a PT vert, is a cover of some type. Now me, I'm not big on the full cover, too much of a PITA to put on and take off. So I got me a Cali Pop Top, then glued in some of those soft magnets along the edge that goes over the front end, and in foul weather I keep that on. Well, come to think of it, I keep it on even in spring so I don't have to deal with all the pollen (I park under a big group of trees).

Here's what my Cali Pop Top looks like:

Now, that pop top stops the number one pain in the tuckous issue of the windows freezing shut. In the vert it's a total PITA, because you might be able to open the door, but once you do, if the window hasn't gone down, you can't close your door! I keep my side windows clean with RainX cleaner year-round as that helps a lot, but still, in the toughest part of winter if you're not covering your windows, good luck getting in!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 11:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Hi

that looks like a practical solution. How much snow do you get, I get ohh 70+ inches up here a year

I am concerned about the windows but I guess I could always tweeak them a 1/4 down to get them out of the groove in the seals when I park if the weather is going to be bad

Where do you get the pop top, assume it is made to fit the PT.

BTW, is your car fixed??

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 30 Mar 2011, 07:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

The side window problem is caused by the horizontal strip down inside the door and there was an upgrade to it, I think it was in 06? I am not sure if it was a recall or a service bulletin, but I had them replaced on my car by the dealer while it was still under warranty, the left side part number was 5067279AD, and that helped quite a bit. when it does stick, you can slide a credit card or something similar between the glass and the seal starting at the rear of the door and slide it front, usually comes free pretty quickly. I keep a putty knife in my trunk for when this happens, usually only once or twice a year, but I park under roof. If I did park out in the weather, I would try and keep the bulk of new snow cleared off because of the weight. The PT heater is only average for power, but it's adequate. The convertible would be no worse than the sedan, as there are no air leaks with this top and the top is well insulated. Traction is fine but I have the 16" 55 series tires and have a good quality all season tread. If you have a GT with the 17" 50 series tires it would be a little worse, I'd try it as is, worse case would be you would have to get some downsize tires and wheels for winter. I'm in pennsylvania, and have a long commute but my roads are usually maintained ok.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 01:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I live in Ohio we get a ton of snow, I have driven my PT all winter long. I did have the top treated at the dealer but any convirtable needs to have it done. However it heats great and no issues at all.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 11:27 am
Young Cruiser

We drive our 05 Dreamcruiser convertible in Philadelphia winters, but we baby the heck out of it. Garaged at home, garaged at work and never out when there's salt on the ground (which means this past winter we didn't drive it much).

Most of that is personal prefence. Buddy at work drives his VW convertible every day, rain, snow or shine. It is still a car after all.

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Hi

that looks like a practical solution. How much snow do you get, I get ohh 70+ inches up here a year

I am concerned about the windows but I guess I could always tweeak them a 1/4 down to get them out of the groove in the seals when I park if the weather is going to be bad

Where do you get the pop top, assume it is made to fit the PT.

BTW, is your car fixed??
Opening the windows doesn't help, because it's the horizontal seal at the bottom of the window where it enters the door that is the problem. The Cali Pop Top I got off ebay, don't remember how much but there are sizes specific to the PT.

My car, no, still waiting for the IC to come in. Been sitting there three weeks making me go broke paying for a rental car. Starting to PO me.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

when i droped my pt home, and let it sit over night the snow had melted and refroze on the window felt,, i could not close the door, because the window wold not drop
besides that the pt drove great in the snow,
Old 26 May 2011, 06:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

My PT is my daily driver as well. Thankfully we have covered parking at our apartment here in SLC and most of our big snows happen overnight. On the rare occasion that it does snow majorly during daylight hours the City/State puts out a "blizzard warning" well in advance and everyone (with a brain in their head) packs up and goes home.

Last year was my first winter in SLC... and I was foolish enough to disregard the blizzard warning once. My Subaru had no problems in the snow, it just took two hours to go 15 miles b/c traffic was gridlocked.
Old 27 May 2011, 02:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
I am just curious how many people here drive their convertibles in the winter,
I know mine is parked all winter, and I live in Canada.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit