Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sport bar question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sport bar question

Just wondering.... if a convertible were to roll over, would the sport bar provide any protection to keep your head from getting mushed?
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sport bar question

Short answer ....NO. It's not a roll bar (sport bar). It might stop the PT from making a complete roll-over if there's not a lot of momentum making it roll which could stop some severe damage. The main function is to hold the shoulder belts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's not a roll bar and cannot support the vehicle's weight in the event of a roll-over. The windshield should protect the front occupants a bit, but any people in the rear are SOL.

Of course, I don't know how many of us with 'verts use the back seat for anything but junk storage anyways.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have added filler material to mine to gain some stiffness, mainly to reduce more body shake and yaw, even though the PT is already pretty stable. If you take all the plastic off of it, you'll find it's not just a flat piece of metal, it's actually channeled. I've known a couple of guys who stripped it down and added round bar welded into the hoop and channel, all the way from the floor overhead. Really turned it into a roll bar and was well hidden by the factory plastic covers.

If you read the engineering on the sport bar it is there to provide a few more gains than whats been mentioned so far. The outer shape is intended as an air spoiler for the rear seat passengers, to carry the air off the windshield, up and over the back end. The wind does roll off of it, which allows it to pass over the rear of the vert and carry off the exhaust emissions so that they aren't sucked up and into the passenger compartment over the back end.

So it's there to help reduce buffeting, clear the air over the front passengers, spoil the air over the rear passengers, and to stiffen the body side to side and reduce roll, yaw and shake. It does happen to do all of that very well.

Now me, I turned my vert into a 2 seater. I installed the air dam over the back seats, that has a mesh screen behind the front seats. With the top up, you can't even see what's in the back seats. With the top down, it reduces the air that rushes down the back seat, under the front seats and out the floor there at your feet. If you place a paper receipt on the back seat and drive off with the top down, it will get sucked down and under the front seats and whip up in your face! Happens to me all the time when I hit about 70 on the highway and have no one in the back seat and the screen is down.

Put it up, do the same thing, the receipt flops around on your back seat but goes nowhere. I love the thing!