PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT Cruiser owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2011, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New PT Cruiser owner

Hi gang!

Just bought my first PT Cruiser, 2005 GT Turbo Convertible,Silver, black leather. Test drove it on a whim, never imagining it would be love at first ignition. Frankly fell in love with it before I turned the key. As soon as I slid behind the wheel I knew I was a goner.

She was the previous owners baby and boy does she show it. 118K miles and looks and drives like new. This man loved this car more than his soon to be ex wife which is exactly how I came to have her. I realized when he bestowed on me all sorts of after market goodies and catalogs that owning a PTC was like no other car to owner relationship. Its not just a car, its a statement and a life choice and I LOVE it.

Looking forward to chatting and mingling with other owners and learning the ways of convertible ownership as she is my first convertible too. Have had a few Jeeps with rag tops before but never an automated system like this. I want to do everything in my power to make sure I see 250K.

Thanks for reading and have a great TOP DOWN day!
Old 21 May 2011, 12:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New PT Cruiser owner

Full synthetic oil and 91 or higher octane (if you're going to boost at all).

Full synthetic doesn't cook as quickly or easily as conventional oil, which in turn can clog your oil lines and starve your turbo of oil.

If you push the car hard@WOT for awhile (which I doubt) either;
A. Drive the last few miles like a grandma to let things cool down
B Arrive at your destination and give your car 1-3 minutes to cool down before shutting it off.

Also, when you first drive the car don't immediately start boosting. You can kill your turbo if you start boosting on a 'dry turbo'.

Another thing;
If your car is an autostick/automatic, DO NOT BOOST AT ALL IN 4th/OD.

Oh and welcome to the forum

-Freddy
Old 21 May 2011, 12:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome to PT's it's more like adoption then buying a car. I am new to PT's and convertibles also. Your lucky the guy loved the car. Mine was kinda abused. But I love it and the top is down more then it's up, I just turn on the seat warmers and go. This is the place to find out everything you need to know to keep your PT going. And more. Have you named it yet? Enjoy your convertible and "Hi from PA".
Old 21 May 2011, 02:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome from South Carolina.If you're like most of us you'll be hooked in no time.
Old 21 May 2011, 06:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome!! Congrats on getting a Cruiser. I think I can speak for most of the guys when I say " We like to see a girl with her TOP down". ( I hope you realize that is all in fun) Welcome to a great forum with a wealth of knowledge from some very friendly people.
Old 21 May 2011, 08:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Congrat's on your new baby, did she tell you her name yet? lol
I'm Danny, my PT is Eve and we say hello from San Antonio.
Old 22 May 2011, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi gang! Thanks for the warm welcome. Her name is Jersey Girl but I affectionately call her "gorgeous". I live in Michigan so my top down days are already numbered so I make the best of the weather and get as much top down time as I can. Was fortunate yesterday to get a nice hour long roadtrip through the countryside in before the rain came again. But even when the top is up she has enough to offer to make it all worthwhile. Having owned mostly high clearance, tippy SuVs and Jeeps, I am loving the thrill of sliding down into those leather seats and being able to take quick corners instead of having to granny through them . I have a road trip to Pittsburgh planned next weekend and really hoping mother nature cooperates.

Freddy, thanks for the technical advice. I am ashamed to say I only understood about half of it but thats why I am here...to learn. I get the important stuff....premium fuel and synthetic oil. I dont boost much if at all, still trying to get a feel for her. Havent tried out the autostick feature yet either. Just might do that today while the sun is shining.

Yesterday was our one month anniversary, feel like I should buy her something...hehe. But what do you buy a girl who has everything? I think I would like to get a boot for the top as I intend to go for some long roadtrips and have a long commute to work. Any feedback on where and how much and if they are worthwhile would be appreciated.

Thanks again for welcoming me! Lets Drive.....
Old 22 May 2011, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New PT Cruiser owner

Welcome form OkieLand!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 22 May 2011, 05:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome from New York
Old 22 May 2011, 05:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownGirl View Post
Hi gang! Thanks for the warm welcome. Her name is Jersey Girl but I affectionately call her "gorgeous". I live in Michigan so my top down days are already numbered so I make the best of the weather and get as much top down time as I can. Was fortunate yesterday to get a nice hour long roadtrip through the countryside in before the rain came again. But even when the top is up she has enough to offer to make it all worthwhile. Having owned mostly high clearance, tippy SuVs and Jeeps, I am loving the thrill of sliding down into those leather seats and being able to take quick corners instead of having to granny through them . I have a road trip to Pittsburgh planned next weekend and really hoping mother nature cooperates.

Freddy, thanks for the technical advice. I am ashamed to say I only understood about half of it but thats why I am here...to learn. I get the important stuff....premium fuel and synthetic oil. I dont boost much if at all, still trying to get a feel for her. Havent tried out the autostick feature yet either. Just might do that today while the sun is shining.

Yesterday was our one month anniversary, feel like I should buy her something...hehe. But what do you buy a girl who has everything? I think I would like to get a boot for the top as I intend to go for some long roadtrips and have a long commute to work. Any feedback on where and how much and if they are worthwhile would be appreciated.

Thanks again for welcoming me! Lets Drive.....
what do you mean by boot? i'm kinda out of it so please forgive me. but once you start modding you're not gonna want to stop, TRUST ME!