Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bumper cover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2011, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking bumper cover

i have a 2005 turbo gt and i am looking for a chrome bumper cover.a couple places used to carry them but have since discontinued.help!!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bumper cover

A lot of things are being discontinued because the demand isn't there anymore. Did you try a Google search for "pt cruiser chrome bumper cover"? Don't have time to go over all my favorites as I'm up in Virginia with the grandkids.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have looked all over and can only find the inserts, it does seem that the covers have been discontinued (wanted for my '05 as well)!! Bummer
Old 16 Oct 2011, 12:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Chrome bumper covers found

I have wanted the full coverage chrome bumpers for the year (and before when shopping) that I have had my car.
They are indeed no longer manufactured, but the rear cover is still offered, as at Cruisermotorsports.com ($459.99).
The PT Cruiser accessories catalogs that I have from a half-decade back offered the front & rear together for $675; add shipping to that.

Currently offered on eBay is a new rear chrome bumper cover for $300. Not long ago, again on eBay, a seller was offering a used front & rear set at too high a price (for me).
A set seemed unobtainable. Until today.

I saw a 2002 with chrome bumpers in a local used car lot and stopped to talk. We came to a deal. I was able to remove the covers (about six screws and the license plate bolts- the silicone adhesive was useless- it stuck to the bumper but not the metal cover).

We agreed that should the bumpers below be too messed up, I would replace the cover and we'd say, "well, we tried".
The old silicone adhesive was easy enough to peel off when I removed the rear cover, leaving no marks; however we found the original charcoal grey bumper to be rust stained and the deal was looking iffy. The front was not bad.
Happily, I found that the rust was like a surface layer that could be scraped off using a screwdriver with a gentle touch, a plastic scraper, some carb cleaner and plastic polish (it was what I had) and time. The original bumper did not even look scratched when I finished.

I took home the chrome bumper covers which now need some wire brushing and rust remover on the inside surfaces, followed by a good rust inhibitor paint coating. The outside surfaces look good and should polish up nicely.
There is a small dent by the right back up light (I replaced the dealer's broken unit with a spare that I had and threw in a trim cover for the missing passenger door manual mirror sail piece.

I am not 100 percent certain that I want to risk damaging my cool vanilla bumper covers by actually installing the chrome covers. I will need to remove the front & rear chrome bumper trim and rear step pad to do so.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 31 May 2016 at 10:34 am. Reason: removed broken picture link
Old 16 Oct 2011, 10:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I found a place that still list them [ $675.00 ] but they listed the vertical grille I wanted but they can't get. So I am waiting to hear if they can get the bumpers.
sanatanadharma, great find, I can't believe you don't have the covers on already. As much as you love chrome and how good it looks with your cool vanilla. It's going to be beautiful.

sanatanadharma, I followed your interior chrome trim post, great looking job, I am thinking of using some of it. Did you get the trim off ebay?
Old 16 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The 1/8th inch chrome trim used inside the car was purchased at an Autozone auto parts store here. Likely you could find something in your area, although eBay is a certain and perhaps less expensive possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinPa View Post
sanatanadharma, I followed your interior chrome trim post, great looking job, I am thinking of using some of it. Did you get the trim off ebay?
Old 17 Oct 2011, 09:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thank you for your time sanatanadharma. You did a beautiful job on the trim I appreciated the thread on how to do it.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 09:12 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Is this what you are looking fior?

01 02 03 04 05 PT Cruiser Chrome Rear Bumper Cover | eBay
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks harry, I had seen this one says not for turbo and I really want the front bumper if I can't find both I will go with the back bumper trims. I have a guy checking to see if he can still get them. Chrysler PT Cruiser PT Woody PT Cruiser Chrome Bumper Covers same guy that tried to get the grille.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 01:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default chrome bumper covers installed

I have installed the chrome bumper covers. When test fitting them I realized that I was going to have to consider this to be (essentially) an irreversible modification. The covers were scratching the bumper paint as I put them on and after some years, they might rust inside again as when I removed them from the donor car which had rust stains on the older dark bumpers.
I cleaned up the rust with drill-powered wire wheels. I then used navel jelly rust remover and sprayed them with rust arrestor primer. The outsides cleaned up and polished nicely.

I did not use any adhesive, but did replace most original screws with stainless steel pan-head bolts and nylon lock nuts where ever I could access the back side. Four of the thirteen fasteners are still self-tapping screws (new stainless steel).

The rear bumper has a small dent below the right side back up light (can be seen in one picture) but it is acceptable to me, especially considering that these bumpers are becoming rare. The front bumper doesnít have the OEM style recessed features so they arenít the ones originally offered by PTWoody.

This front bumper had two holes drilled for the mounted license plate. The holes were neither level nor centered. After considering options, I choose to reuse my OEM plate holder which managed to cover the two holes; one just inside the upper corner of the plate holder.
My mounted Autotecnica chrome bumper trim pieces and the Mopar rear bumper pad came off undamaged. The pad will go back on the chrome (which will subdue the massive amount of rear chrome). What I need now is the center panel chrome trim piece.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:59 am.