Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
touring versus gts pros and cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Default touring versus gts pros and cons

I'm new to this pt thing. I thought I would get my feet wet with a touring pt. Finding out if I would like the little car. I know woundering what is the better of the two cars. I here gts get bad mpg. Is that true? PLEASE TELL ME pro and cons what you think xtreme cindy
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: touring versus gts pros and cons

All PT's get bad mileage, the reason the GT's seem to get worse is people like me who drive them like they were stolen! However, with custom tunes you can do all sorts of things with both the touring and the gt models. The turbo lite, which is just a detuned gt, can be upfitted to the same level as the gt, but takes quite a bit of work. Both models are well done, imo. The touring model was made just for that, touring, while the gt was their attempt at a performance model.

Both are bodacious little cars. Part of the mileage problems is the weight, all of them are heavy especially the verts. The vert GT is the heaviest of all of them. That, to me, is a darned good thing as these cars tend to hold up very well in an accident and they are quite stable on the road.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks Chromenut...Couldn't have said it better
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hi Cindy, I bought a 05 GT convertible in April and my gas mileage has been improving with each fill up. [18.75, 19.97, 21.99] When I was doing research it listed base at 24mpg, turbo lite 20mpg, turbo HO 23mpg, the guy that checked my car over said gt got better mileage because the bigger engine could pull the weight better. Have to use the good gas so cost alittle more. Worth every penny. Of all the cars I was in the GT had the most comfortable seats. [I set in a touring with leather.] And came with everything I think the only options was the chrome wheels and gps. I love the car and lots of power when you want it. Still makes me giggle when I drive it.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 04:47 am
Cool Cruiser

The 5 speed standard seems to be a little better on fuel and I never get mileage dips like I see some of the autos get.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 05:42 am
Young Cruiser

chromenut so is yours a gt or touring? What is a touring lite and how can I tell what mine is? Thanks xtreme
Old 14 Jun 2011, 05:46 am
Young Cruiser

GinPa What is a turbo HO? What have you done to get the better gas mileage? Thanks xtreme cindy
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:15 am
Young Cruiser

High output turbo on our 05 Dreamcruiser, but we consistently get a combined city/hwy of 22 or so on medium grade gas. So I think you have to take many of these user fuel ratings with a grain of salt.

Bottom line is that it's a compact 4 cylinder (good) with horrible aerodynamics (bad). The gas mileage will be in the low 20's unless you drive it like brainless teenager. As with anything else, you will get out of it what you put into it...

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:19 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
GinPa What is a turbo HO? What have you done to get the better gas mileage? Thanks xtreme cindy
The PT has 2 different turbos, commonly referred to as Turbo Lite & High Output (HO). I believe all GT's come with the HO, as does the Dreamcruiser 4. It is a more powerful Turbo producing upwards of 240hp.

I believe the Touring edition comes with the Turbo lite, producing something in the neighborhood of 210 hp.

But there are better guys on the mechanicals than me...

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.

Last edited by QuarterFlash; 14 Jun 2011 at 07:24 am.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The normal PT puts out 150hp, Tubo Lite is 180hp (same Turbo, different tuning) and as said, the High Output Turbo anywhere from 215hp and up.

I don't believe all "Touring" cruisers have the Turbo Lite. But all normal and "Lites" take regular gas whereas the full Turbos are suggested to take premium gas if you want the full potential from the engine and as most of us will say, why buy the full Turbo if you can't afford to buy what's recommended for it.

Sometimes you can tell by the badging on the rear hatch but for sure if you can see the battery like in the picture below, you have a Turbo engine.

If the battery is covered and you have a different upper manifold with all the ridges on it, you have the normal aspired (non-Turbo) engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.